Cuttlebone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just brought some cuttlebone for my snail and was wondering how I should put it in the tank? I read that you have to cut off I dime sized peace in order to not raise your ph levels. I also read that you should boil, soak or tie it down in order to get it in the tank. But I came here t see if anyone had some alternative ways as well. Any advice will do. Or is another good way to put the cuttlebone in the filter?

Can anyone please answer? I've been getting very little replies to my posts. :(

I take mine and put it under my java moss so it doesn't float and none of my fish have tried to eat it

Ok I have a goldfish who will eat anything he thinks is food that's why I ask

I would boil it to soften it up. The other thing you could do is place it in a plastic container full of aquarium water outside until the alge cover it. The snals will love the bio film and the alge will be eaten as well. The alge should have a inflated calcium level that is good for the snails as well.

I use egg shells that have alge grown over them as mentioned above. Reef crystals-aquarium salt in small amounts for the mineral content. It should not harm the goldfish and actually may improve the goldfish's overall health. Shells from crayfish molts work also. Be warned crayfish love snails to death-YUMMY.

I would boil it to soften it up. The other thing you could do is place it in a plastic container full of aquarium water outside until the alge cover it. The snals will love the bio film and the alge will be eaten as well. The alge should have a inflated calcium level that is good for the snails as well.

I use egg shells that have alge grown over them as mentioned above. Reef crystals-aquarium salt in small amounts for the mineral content. It should not harm the goldfish and actually may improve the goldfish's overall health. Shells from crayfish molts work also. Be warned crayfish love snails to death-YUMMY.

Lol thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom