cycle help please???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
today was my 17th day of my fishless cycle and my results where

ammonia=0 ( after dosing 24 hours ago to 2ppm )
Nitrites = off the charts , very dark as soon as its added goes dark purple
ph=7.8
Nitrates =5.0

why is my nitrates only 5.0 ?????/

the highest ive seen it was 10 which was only for one day 1:banghead:

should I redoes ammonia tonight ? or wait a few days to see if my nitrates start to go up ????

Any help would be great as this is my first cycle !!?:fish2:

dose only 1/2 of your original ammonia dose every 3-4 days.

Also, try to be patient. Your cycle is absolutely 100% on track. Day 17 with high nitrites and just-starting nitrAtes is 100% excellent and absolutely as expected. It's a 4-6 week process. Your nitrAtes won't start raising quickly until toward the end.

no worries thanks ,
I doesed 2ppm 24hours ago so ill wait another day or 2 and just leave it at 0 , was scared to do this as I thought I starved the bacteria that's there cause theres no ammonia :)

No, in lab studies, the ammonia bacteria can live for months without food and when they get new food they dive right in. They will most definitely be fine for a few days and you should slow down your dosing.

No, in lab studies, the ammonia bacteria can live for months without food and when they get new food they dive right in. They will most definitely be fine for a few days and you should slow down your dosing.

I never knew that. Thanks Jen. Learn something new everyday

I never knew that. Thanks Jen. Learn something new everyday
Sure!
Worth noting, I've only read and seen studies on the ammonia-eating bacteria. No one seems to have studied the nitrite-eating bacteria and their ability to bounce back after starvation. Luckily that is never really a relevant issue for this forum, but I do wish that info was out there so we could know if people could have a fully cycled tank "sit" without food for X amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom