Cycle issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymph

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. Looking for advice!
For 8 days now my Ammonia has been at 4.00pm, no nitrites and I've just read the pH at 6.4 Tomorrow is the last day of adding stability to the tank so I was expecting to see at least something. Please note I did actually add Household Ammonia (9.5%) at the beginning to kick-start the cycle but as nothing was happening I added the stability. Still no changes at all. Temp at 80 and that's the limit. should I do? Remain patient OR full water change and start again? (When I originally got the tank I was told it was 180L, couple days ago I actually measured it and it's 160L- maybe it's a possibility I added too much ammonia and it can't process it? At a loss. Thank you in advance.

8 days isn’t long enough in my opinion. It will happen in time. Very broadly speaking You’ll be looking at another 4-7 days before you register a nitrite reading and see a reduction in ammonia. After that the nitrite phase will take even longer and will probably last around 3 weeks. 4ppm is plenty. No need to keep adding ammonia or you will just contribute to the back log of nitrite. When nitrite starts to come down just add a bit more ammonia then. Depending on how soft your water is (probably soft like mine) a water change won’t hurt mid cycle. It will replenish some alkalinity and nutrients the bacteria use to grow and complete the cycle.

Yep. Cycling can take up to 3 weeks. Be patient. :)

I think you have also experience why I never bother with bb (bacteria in a bottle). SeaChem is a great brand and I love their products. But there are to many variables once that bottle gets shipped. Just out of curiosity what is the expiration date on your bottle?

I think you have also experience why I never bother with bb (bacteria in a bottle). SeaChem is a great brand and I love their products. But there are to many variables once that bottle gets shipped. Just out of curiosity what is the expiration date on your bottle?
Yeah that was my original thought (bacteria dying) but thought I'd give it a go. Oh well at least it's an experience! Expiry date: July 2021.
Also tried the Fluval Biological Enhancer and nothing came about from that either! I'm glad I started with ammonia though and have learnt more by error this time around (first time cycling with ammonia).

Oh that really sucks I am sooo sorry that happened. I would send you some media if you were closer. But hang in there you'll start seeing changes soon!

Oh that really sucks I am sooo sorry that happened. I would send you some media if you were closer. But hang in there you'll start seeing changes soon!
I do have another tank and I could use the media from that cartridge but I added a sponge filter to replace the internal filter so am waiting to be able to take the original filter out! It's coming out on Sunday so I could pop it in the new tank maybe? Would I just put it near the filters? (2 x Sponge Filters)

I'm in the same boat feeling impatient. My ammonia is stuck at 4 ppm but it's only been a week. I've asked all the lfs for some kind of media to no avail. One wanted to sell me Stabilty and I decided not. I was just starting to reconsider when I saw your post LOL. I'll have to wait- like a little kid here. lol I want my FISH!

I'm in the same boat feeling impatient. My ammonia is stuck at 4 ppm but it's only been a week. I've asked all the lfs for some kind of media to no avail. One wanted to sell me Stabilty and I decided not. I was just starting to reconsider when I saw your post LOL. I'll have to wait- like a little kid here. lol I want my FISH!
Exactly hahaha I want to get started so badly! Well I'm glad I'm having the same issue as you then cos now you don't have to restart. Patience is a virtue after all ?

Back
Top Bottom