Cycle progress questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks - I'll plan on two DG's and hopefully they will be ok together. I don't think I'm ready for live plants yet - maybe someday. But, I did try to buy the nicest silk/fabric plants I could find (no sharp edges) I have about a dozen plants in the tank (a couple are plastic, but they seem to be softer), a large (fake) stump from PetSmart that they can easily get into and under and a large-ish log that someone can hide out in easily.

If you have fluorescent bulbs with your aquarium (Even if Stock), it's enough for Low-Light plants. If you look at my pictures of both my aquariums, they are all low-light plants with ZERO maintenance. They help provide and keep prestine water quality, and help eliminate the toxins.. Plus, they look great! :)

Your tanks look great. I (hopefully) have a larger tank coming back with my parents from Florida - my sister had an old 45 long that she was not using and hopefully it will fit in my parents van for the ride back to Iowa. I really like the look of live plants. Someday...

Hehe...
Thanks.
They look great, and so easy to maintain. At first, I recommend some "Liquid Flourish Excel" Fertilizer and / or SeaChem Root tabs to help with the growth. Once your tank has established, it is virtually maintenance free.
Just make sure you're buying "Low-light" plants.
If you're still using your stock bulb that came with the kit, it's ok but you can also get a "Plant" bulb at home depot for $8.00 (Compared to $25 at the LFS).
Anyways.. Good luck, and don't forget ... PICTURES.. we all love to see pictures :)

I'm still working on getting the tank cycled and am frustrated. I just did readings on the tank:

ammonia 2ppm
nitrItes 0.25ppm
nitrAtes 2.5ppm

I am calling the nitrAtes 2.5ppm as it was not 0 and not as orange as the 5ppm - somewhere in between. I have added ammonia to the tank a couple times over the last week to get it up to 4ppm, but it only gets back down to 2ppm - it won't go below that. The last time I added ammonia was 48 hours ago. I have topped off the tank a couple times (just a gallon - I put Prime in the gallon first and turned off the filter when adding). The temperature is still warm - around 80 (thermometer broke - have to buy a better one this weekend). The tank is getting a LOT clearer. It was set up March 1st, so one month today.

How long ago have you started seeing Nitrates?

Today is Saturday and the first time I saw NitrAtes was Thursday. I had not been testing for them daily - just once in a while as I didn't have NitrItes yet.

My readings last night were:

ammonia 2ppm
NitrIte somewhere between 0 and 0.25ppm
NitrAte 2.5ppm

I added five more drops of ammonia to the tank last night and this morning ammonia is back up at 4ppm and if I was to predict, I would guess it will get down to 2ppm by tonight or tomorrow morning, but won't go any lower. I'll recheck all three again tonight.

Why am I getting NitrAtes, but so little NitrItes and ammonia won't go under 2ppm? There is nothing in the tank other than rock, fabric plants and fake decor. The water more clear than it used to be, but there is still a bit of a haze for sure.

I am getting frustrated -

I tested water twice yesterday after adding the ammonia Friday night.

Saturday am - ammonia 4ppm (only tested ammonia)

Saturday pm - ammonia 3-4ppm nitrItes 0-0.25ppm (didn't test nitrAtes)

Sunday am - ammonia 3-4ppm nitrItes 0-0.25ppm nitrAtes 2.5ppm

I don't seem to be making any progress at all other than my tank is a lot clearer than when I first started, but it's still not perfectly clear. I re-read the directions for the tests to make sure I hadn't missed something. I am doing everything correctly.

The only thing I did notice is that on the ammonia and nitrAte directions it says: "The Freshwater Ammonia (or NitrAte) Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freswater aquariums to which salt has been added". Do you all add salt to your tanks for cycling? Is something wrong here? Maybe I'll make a trip to the LFS and have them test everything to check my readings...

Adding salt is used for treating certain illnesses. Or in a Brackish water aquarium...

Usually when nitrates show any ammonia added is consumed immediately... well quickly anyway. The ammonia bacteria build up first, then the nitrite bacteria, you keep feeding ammonia to keep those bacteria alive and the nitrite levels increase until the nitrite bacteria take hold. In my experience it is the nitrite phase that takes the longest. I'd say just keep on doing what you are doing.

Maybe get the LFS to test, just to confirm that your readings are correct.

Thanks Mattrox - they were closed today for Easter, but I'll try to make a trip down there this week and keep feeding my ammonia bacteria in the meantime!

i myself am a beginner as well, only 2 weeks into the cycle. I just read over these posts and I'm wondering, is AgilityIG's cycle aleady done? because at the end the ammonia and nitrite will read 0 and nitrate 2.5 right? or is it .25? I'm just wondering because nitrate won't show up until after the nitrites spike right? which means your tank is cycled, right? please correct me if I'm wrong, like I said I'm a complete newbie and just wondering how there could be nitrate reading if the cycle isn't complete. (unless the test kit is messed up in one way or another)

I wondered that too - if I somehow missed it and completed the cycle, but I don't think so. :confused:

I just tested the tank again:

ammonia 2ppm
nitrItes 0ppm (sometimes it looks like a darker blue with purple tint)
nitrAtes about 5ppm (darker than yesterday for sure)

I have not added ammonia since Friday night as it sits at 2ppm. I can put five drops of ammonia in and it will get up to 4ppm and get down to 2ppm in about 48 hours.

well that means the bacteria that eats the ammonia is doing it's job right? so that's good. is there a possibility you mixed up the test kits or something? I just don't understand how you can have nitrate if the nitrites haven't appeared. I mean the nitrate is a byproduct of the bacteria that feed on nitrites, so no nitrate could appear without nitrite being there for that bacteria to eat if I understand correctly. it makes sense if you mixed the kits cuz then your nitrites are the ones spiking which is what should be happening.

I could be totally off, I'm not even familiar with the drop tests so I don't even know if there is a way to mix them up or confuse one for the other. I'm currently using strips (which suck) but am planning on picking up drops. what brand are you using? maybe I should steer clear of it if that's what the problem is!!

you can get nitrate readings without nitrite being 0ppm best check your water supply straight from the tap for nitrate this would explain you having nitrate but not yet cycled alot of water companies use nitrate in the water supplies levels vary depending where you live

mommytron
i suggest you get a API freshwater master test kit the strip tests are very innacurate
if the API freshwater master test kit is used as directed you get very accurate readings while the kit is in date

thanks lionheart!! good to know about the nitrate in the tap water thing...things are making a little more sense. good luck, agilityig, hope I didn't make you more confused or anything.... I'm off to find an API test kit and being impatient while I wait for those **** nitrites.......

mommytron
just so i dont confuse you
not all water sources have nitrate in them ,but its best to check the water source you use for your aquarium
i have 20ppm nitrate from my tap
but the plants in my established tank reduces nitrate to 5ppm currently so if you do have a water source with high nitrate plants are better than chemicals to reduce the levels of nitrates and makes your tank look more natural in the process

Back
Top Bottom