Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sallysblooms

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long does it take to get the aquarium clear again. We have had our 29 gallon BioCube for 4 or 5 weeks. We put fish in within a few days. It was clear, then got a bit green, but we have the light on less now.

Now it is cloudy. How long will it take to clear up? The testing is good.Nitrites and Nitrates are good as well as ammonia. We were doing water changes weekly, then heard it would prolong the cyle.

Is that true? Or are water changes still good?

We just checked again. The numbers are in thevery good range on the test strip chart. So the cloudy water is bacteria? We will keep changing the water. Any idea when it will be clear again?

Sallysblooms said:
We just checked again. The numbers are in thevery good range on the test strip chart. So the cloudy water is bacteria? We will keep changing the water. Any idea when it will be clear again?

Don't use strips, liquid tests are more accurate.

Sallysblooms said:

Getting a quality test kit like an API Master Kit is one of the golden rules. The strips are notoriously inaccurate, and end up costing you more in the long run than a quality liquid kit.

Milky water usually is a bacteria bloom which will dissipate quickly, but if it's green it may be an algae bloom which is a different issue. It can be hard to tell what the color actually is in the tank, so try scooping some water out into a white cup and see if you can definitely determine the color.

Have you been replacing filters? Doing so would cause you to lose a bulk of your beneficial bacteria, making the tank re-cycle and potentially keep the water cloudy as bacterial blooms would continue to happen. Make sure you never replace filters until they are literally falling apart (regardless of what the pet store tells you). Just swish them around in water you remove from the tank during water changes to clean off debris they collect. The vast majority of your beneficial bacteria lives in the filter, so anytime it is replaced or cleaned in chlorinated water it will cause your tank to become dangerously unstable.

Here's a couple articles to check out. The second is about fishless cycling (which won't apply to you), but there's some info about things like beneficial bacteria and filter changes which can hopefully help out. -
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

I have heard that about the API kit. Just wasn't sure if it was difficult. We will get that.

I think the bloom is white, not very green anymore at all.

Yes, we clean the filters. Every few days.

I saw on a forum, here I think, that someone cleaned the water with a clean dish towel. Using the vacuum, that really does a great job! We did that twice so far. Water changes weekly also. I have done a lot of reading here.

Just seems like the water should be clear now. I will read the articles. I probably have already, but I will look.

Thanks for telling me about the filter. I know we want bacteria, but I want clear water too! Thanks for everything.

Back
Top Bottom