Cycled Filter did not remove Ammonia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymph

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey so I grabbed a sponge filter that's been in my 160L cycled tank for 4 months now, and put it in my new 25L tank that will home a new Betta. I was under the impression that because the filter is already cycled, I needn't do anything else as I see a lot of people grabbing an already cycled filter and putting in a new tank and they don't need to do anything else... Now yesterday I set up this tank, put in the filter and added the correct amount of ammonia for the tank size to make sure it processed it.

Readings after 24hrs;

0.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
5-10 Nitrates

What can I do now? The fish is coming on Wednesday and I thought this was a foolproof plan as I see it being done so many times.

I've cranked up the heater too.

Cheers.

Keep feeding the tank and give it time to stabilize. Having seeded media in filter took me about 3 days to build up BB levels to deal with the load. With 0 NO2 and some Nitrates already there it looks like it's already going
no idea how much of a difference cranked up heater makes, never tried and don't plan on trying

Good luck!

Keep feeding the tank and give it time to stabilize. Having seeded media in filter took me about 3 days to build up BB levels to deal with the load. With 0 NO2 and some Nitrates already there it looks like it's already going
no idea how much of a difference cranked up heater makes, never tried and don't plan on trying

Good luck!
Thank you, I've grabbed some media out of my 160L (No ammonia in that tank) gonna add that now and see where it takes me. I'll keep checking the ammonia periodically ?

Back
Top Bottom