cycled tank now showing ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganizzi

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank had been cycled and then I noticed that my ammonia levels had risen to .50 ppm. I added a bunch of LR to help improve filtration but have not seen a change. Ammonia levels still read .50 ppm. I have lots of coraline algae on the rocks and only 2 damsels currently in the 45 gal. tank.

Originally I had 45 lbs or rock and now its more like 90 - 100lbs. The new rock that I placed in the tank was cured and purchased locally so I assume any die off was minimal. The newer rock has a good amount of algae growing on it and is pretty much indistinguishible from the older rock. That last bunch of LR was added about 1 month ago.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be my ammonia source and why that much rock is not effectively lowering the ammonia levels?

I feed a small amount of food every other day. I have decent sized clean up crew consisting of a star fish, red/blue leg hermits, peppermint shrimp and astrea snails.

All other quality measures are reading zero (Nitrite and Nitrate).

Thanks

When did you put the "new" live rock in the tank? Yes, your die off may be minimal but even a little will rise the amonia level, did you notice an amonia level before you put the "new" live rock in? Did you cycle the "new" live rock before putting it into your 45gal tank? visit this site when buying and introducing new live rock to your tank: http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=59

This site will tell you how to re-cure live rock before entering it into your tank. Even though it is now too late it will still be a good future reference. I recommend just letting your tank cycle through again and addapt to the live rock you have just put in give it another week or two. If ammonia dosent then drop go to the LFS and purchase AMMO Lock. that will rid of the toxic ammonia but your ammonia will still show on a test kit. Hope i helped GOOD LUCK!

Double check your kit for expiration dates, have it verified by the LFS. What do you add to the tank? Any water conditioners like amquel?

Live rock was added one month ago. So it has been a while. I have not had my test results confirmed. Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that this week. I don't add anything to the water, just do a 20% waterchange once a month. I use RO/DI water from machines in the grocery store since my tap has phosphates.

I've confirmed that the test results are accurate for the ammonia levels.

Could a dead snail somewhere in my tank be causing this? I would assume that anything dead would be eaten fairly quickly be all the red and blue leg hermits running around.

Back
Top Bottom