Cycleing a nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefgirl1027

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, i've been cycleing for a month, i have a 8g nano tank with live rocks, live sand... How long should you cycle a tank before adding invert? & when its ready how many should i add? Then how long do you wait til you can add a fish?

There is not certain time limit on cycling a tank. What you are looking for is a spike in Ammonia and then a decline in ammonia and a spike in NitrItes at that point ammonia should be 0. From there you will see a decline in NitrItes and a spike in NitrAtes. When you have 0 Ammonia and 0 NitrItes and a high number of NitrAtes it's time for a PWC and then you are ready to start adding your clean up crew. Keep a check on your levels as you do this. After a week or so of lower NitrAtes ( less then 20 preferablely lower) then you can add a fish. In a nano tank you are going to be limited to the fish you add so make sure to research your selections carefully.

You may want to go the the article section of the site (link in my signature) and read about cycling your tank. That will walk you step by step on what to look for.

I agree with Ziggy. When you are ready to add a fish or two, here is a good reference point:
Nano Fish
I would also suggest you get you own liquid test kits, a refractometer and top offs of FW from a RO/DI.

i have a kit to test water so i will keep do that, thanks i never would of known that. i have been reserching alot but i guess not enough. i want to get this right, what is a refractometer?

A refractometer is a device to measure salinity, more precisely it is measuring the speed of light through your aquariums water. They are more accurate than hydrometers, but less accurate than a conductivity meter/probe. Here is an example of a handheld refrac: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Captive_Purity_Refractometer_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Testing_Equipment_Optical_Refractometers~vendor~Captive_Purity~SearchStr~refractometer~action~view~idProduct~CP2111~idCategory~FITEOPRF.html

When you said you've been cycling a month... what exactly did you do to "start" the cycle?

Reason I ask is because if you didn't add any ammonia source (fish food, cocktail shrimp, a fish (oops!)) then you haven't been cycling... you've just been watching a tank full of saltwater sit there. If you added an ammonia source, then as Ziggy mentioned, you should've seen the ammonia rise, then the nitrites rise. If you added an ammonia source, and weren't testing, then you might've missed the cycle and you've ended up with a tank full of nitrates.

Might want to go back and read up on the whole "cycling" thingie...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Now this is getting really confusing! What the guy said in the fish store was to cycle for a month before putting in fish. i have been reserching & i never heard of adding fish food or a shrimp before but, i'm new at this so i guess i have to keep reading. My tank has 10lbs. of live rock & live sand in it, its a 8g. oceanic bio tank. i do have a test kit & readings are normal, i will get a refractometer.

How did the guy at the LFS instruct you to cycle the tank?

If you haven't given the tank an ammonia source (fish food, shrimp, or even die off from the live rock) then your test readings should be "normal"... in other words 0.0 for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. That's because it's still just a tank of salt water with no biological activity going on.

If there was a cycle, and it's over now, then you should see some measurable level of nitrates. Nitrates are the end result of the whole nitrogen cycle. That assumes though that the water you put in the tank had no measurable nitrates in it to start with. If you used tap water to fill the tank, then I wouldn't assume that nitrates in the tank mean you're cycled. They could've been in there from day one from your tap water.

The guy at the LFS just told me to cycle for a month before adding any fish & that was it. i use R/O i get from the fish store in 5 gallon bottles already mixed with sait. To be honest with you i missed one week of not testing the water but, the readings what i rember were 0 & they are still 0. So, should i go & buy fish food to put in the tank? & what kind to i use & how much? i know you mentioned about a refractometer, do i really need one & if so are they expensive? By the way thank you for helping me understand better.

Go back and read the link about cycling I gave you. That'll tell you how to cycle.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

In my opinion, if you want to get in to corals, refractometers are essential. You can get one for $50. Hydrometers are either inaccurate, or just leave too much room for error. Consistent salinity is just as important as consistent temperature and pH.

Back
Top Bottom