Cycling a 12-gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADW76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

As I reported in a different thread I have a 12 gallon tank that is new. I wonder if anyone has some advice for me as how to cycle it. Here was my thought...

I have a totally cycled 30-gallon tank already with two power filters running 24/7. Both filters are complete with biofilters & carbon filters. What do you think about taking one of the filters out of the 30-gallon and dumping it in the 12-gallon tank to boost the bacteria, and populate the filter running in that tank? Unfortunately, they are not the same filter, the 12-gallon is an Eclipse system. So what I mean by putting it in, I mean letting it sit on the bottom of the tank.

I think in theory it should work, but was wondering if anyone has actually done something like that to speed up the cycle process, or even get it completely cycled without fish.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

that is called seeding. i always keep an extra filter running on each tank, that way i can "instantly cycle" a tank if i need to, whether its a new setup or a qt... there are several ways to seed a tank... pantyhose filled with substrate, filter media, complete filter, and of course several others.

I used some filter media and just set it in the tank, and it worked just fine. Actually, I have done them all like that, never putting the "old" filter in the new HOB. And right now, I still have 2 carbon filter media in my 20G tank just for a while. Everything worked out fine for me and my tanks are all cycled. And actually, the 75G I did that with (along with some gravel in a pantyhose) was cycled in a week. Good luck!

As mentioned above, it's called seeding. Since the tank is only a 12 g you can most likely instantly cycle it this way since you will be pulling a cartridge from a much larger tank.

Awesome. One more question everyone. I understand populating the new filter with the beneficial bacteria, but how will I know when its cycled.. Theory is I should never have any Ammonia/Nitrite readings without fish in there? Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks so much for all your help so far.

You have to keep the good bacteria fed with an ammonia source, so don't just put it in the tank with no fish present, or no ammonia source present, the bacteria will die.

When your tank is fully cycled, with fish in it or doing a fishless cycle with an alternate ammonia source such as rotting food or pure ammonia, your readings will be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom