cycling a 40 gallon hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrolfAddict93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Chucking my 40 gal hex did a 80% fill from my cycled 75 gallon added two pieces of.filter media and a dozen gold fish. Almost all the gold fish died in the first two days. How long should it take to cycle need to pull some of my fish from my 75 and dint want them to die

We're the gold fish doing well from the start? Or we're they feeder goldfish? And was the waters perimeters? Ph.Nitrite Nitrate and stuff like that..

Well it's not cycled at all then... Try adding more of the used filter Medea to the tank...

That's way too many goldfish for an uncycled tank. There's no need to use fish to cycle a tank that way. If your 75 gal is cycled and stable you can add some media to the new tank from that filter and then slowly add one or two fish at a time from the 75 gal. Keep checking parameters daily on both tanks; if anything spikes (ammonia, etc) do some extra water changes. When levels stay stable (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, some nitrate) for more than a few days on their own without water changes then slowly add more fish. Either that or you can fishless cycle the new tank. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom