Cycling a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zipperfly58

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new 55 gallon Mbuna tank that has been cycling for almost a month now, however the fish have only been occupants for about 2 weeks. While setting up I added about 20 gallons from a cycled tank the the Mbuna's were in prior to the move. I also moved all slate rocks plastic plans and submerged a sponge intake cover from the cycled tank as well and submerged in the new tank fir about a week.
Mt ammonia levels are running between .25 and .50 with my nitrite levels being as high as 3.0. I am doing daily 15% water changes. My fish all seem happy and healthy showing now signs of street, I even have a OB red zebra holding. Can anyone give me any help speeding up the cycling process or do I just. Have to wait it out. I will add that I am feeding fish sparingly at this time.

Cycling can be a slow and frustrating process, and seldom goes the way we think it should. It would probably have been better if you had waited until tank was fully cycled before you added the fish, IMO. However, since the fish are in the tank already, I would increase your daily water changes to 50%. You won't remove beneficial bacteria with large water changes, as very little is present in the water column, but you will reduce the amount of ammonia in the water by half with each water change.

Thanks SherLar, I know I should have cycled before moving my fish. There are a couple of reasons why I did not. The first being my fish were out growing my 38 bow front and the other was I had a red zebra holding and wanted to try and save any babies I could in the community tank.
I was doing 50% for a few days before a LFS said I didn't need to change that much that often. I am starting tonight going back to the 50% water change. Thanks for your input.

Others may have a different opinion, but I'm a fan of large water changes; the bigger the better. I change 50-60% weekly in all my tanks. As I said, beneficial bacteria isn't really present in the water column, but ammonia is. I'm also a fan of Seachem Prime with every water change. It will neutralize chlorinates, condition the water, and detox ammonia. Be aware, however, that the ammonia isn't removed from the water, so will still show up on tests. IMO, do your water change, test, then add Prime, so you can get a more accurate reading. If your water is chlorinated, you can leave it sit in buckets or other containers for 24 hrs, which will allow the chlorine to dissipate.

Back
Top Bottom