Cycling a Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyosafi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a 12 gallon aquapod. Instead of the bioballs and other media I used live rock fragments. I'm still using the bag of carbon that came with it per the stores instructions.

Right now there is 6 lbs of live sand in there and a 5 or 6 lbs piece of live rock. I'm planning on adding a bit more. My question is, will the live rock and live sand be enough to start my cycle?

I depends on the amount of dieoff. If you have an ammonia source it will start a cycle. If the rock is cured, right from your LFS to your tank, you might not even see a cycle. I'd say add about 18Lbs of Cured LR and you might skip your cycle.

It very well may be enough to trigger a cycle , to help you can add something in to decay . As for the ammount of LR I differ and say about 10 LBS if you want corals as these will come on pices of LR and some will be quite large in size this will usually more than make up for the -2LBS you have and will not affect the tank such as a cycle , and should you it will be nominal in time and spikes. If you are not doing reef then I would say to try for 12-13 lbs and some in the back chambers that will take the place of the bio rings or bio balls . Too much there will be too much displacement of water to house any fish

I agree with a nano it's important to realize the small space and each coral will add rock , also you will see in LFS a nice rock that you would have the perfect place for . I started with 12lbs or so and now have between 20-25lbs in my 10gal .

When I started my 12gal nanocube a couple of years ago, I did what you did with the stock media and replaced it with LR rubble from the sump of my larger reef. I also used about 12lbs of real LS from existing reef tanks and about 25lbs of fully cured LR. I experienced no cycle what so ever due to the established LS and LR. You could add another 15-20lbs of LR and have very good results.

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go ahead and add some more live rock. I'm probably going to go with around 20-25 lbs in there. Sounds like this will work. I also really like the busy look.

Back
Top Bottom