Cycling a new tank for my goldies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessybehr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have set up a 40 gallon tank with some new gravel and took some of my old gravel from the tank they are in now. I also added some of the already cycled water to the new tank as well as putting in an already used filter instead of the new one. I went to the store and the guy gave me fluval to add to the tank and gave me a few feeder fish to throw in in the mean time. I have a full test kit. He said I should be able to move my fancy goldfish in the new tank within a few days. Any advice would be very helpful please! My Goldie's are very precious to me and are out growing their current tank

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love goldies.... I would make sure the water tests perfect and the temp. is the same when you transfer them. You don't want any ick... :eek:
Don't feed them the day you move them. I would leave the light off for a couple hours so they can adjust and not stress.
That's all I can think of. :fish1:

Good luck, (y)

caryn

I guess I'll have to let them float in a bag for awhile so they adjust to the temperature change

Well I see a few things here...

1. Adding old gravel only adds waste to the tank. No matter how much you clean it, waste can still get trapped in it and you are just putting it in the new tank. It also holds very little bacteria.

2. Old tank water: same concept as above, it holds very little bacteria, not enough to make a difference, you are just adding nitrates to the tank.

3. Your tank absolutely will not cycle in a few days UNLESS you take a filter from an established tank. The filter houses 99% of the BB living in the tank.

4. Since you have "feeder fish"(which are just like any other fish given proper care...) I guess you want to a fish in cycle. Regular water changes and testing will be needed to ensure the safety of the current livestock.

Sorry to burst the bubble but I wouldn't add your goldfish till you are certain the tank has cycled.

Caleb

I stated I put old filter media into the new filter

I stated I put old filter media into the new filter

I still highly doubt it would cycle in just a few days. Media just provides a jump start. What's the water parameters?

Caleb

GH 60 kh 40 pH 7 nitrite 0 nitrate .5-1

Moving the filter to the new tank will be fine, and will only mini cycle if anything. No different than doing a 100% water change.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom