Cycling and water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willikris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read they are necessary...and that you don't need them. So experts....do I need to do water changes while cycling my new 20gl tank???

Fishless or fish in cycle? Yes and yes. But there are times when a water change CAN be avoided in a fishless cycle but again there are times when one or two maybe needed, it depends alot of your tap water parameters, if soft low kh acidic or neutral ph then expect to have to do more than a hard alkaline comparison. FishIN cycle is almost daily changes in comparison though and can work in the opposite direction as ammonia is more toxic in alkaline water.

In short, follow your test results.

Last edited:
I'm doing a fish less cycle. The tank is currently bringing my ammonia down to zero daily and nitrite is off the charts. I tested my tap water before I started and there are trace amounts of nitrates and I know we have hard water even tho I have not tested it.

I'm mostly asking because I don't want my cycle to stall because my nitrites are so high. Nitrates are at about 40ppm.

Whats your ph? I wouldnt worry at all about those nitrates during your cycle. Doing a water change wont hurt so why not.

Last edited:
Whats your ph? I wouldnt worry at all about those nitrates during your cycle. Doing a water change wont hurt so why not.

The ph in the tank is around 8.0 to 8.2 (its so hard to tell with the API test...) I'm not too worried about the nitrates, just the nitrites stalling everything. I'm starting week five of my cycle so im hoping I can get my fishies in the tank before new years :)

You could actually possibly be able to avoid a water change as i cycle tank without changes bit thats down to my liquid rock alkaline water, and ots a bonus its perfect for my fish. I wouldnt risk it, do a change, what better time to get used to regularly changing water.

Back
Top Bottom