Cycling by using used media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankgrl88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
?? I am beginning a new tank for my tetras and am planning to transfer them to it however I want to do this right so I thought I'd ask the experts here. All I've done thus far is add 2/3 the dechlorinate water. I'm running the filter at full power and am heating it as well running the bubblers. I have no amonia but I can add both my original tanks water samples as well as bio from the filter they currently have. Please tell me if I am planning this correctly. I'm in no rush as I am aware it can take weeks and I will be testing the parameters as well. TIA for any replies. :)

If I'm reading correctly then you were looking at a fish-in cycle to add ammonia?

Assuming the other tank is cycled, then using filter media from there will give you an instant cycled tank. A question would be to what ammonia load. You may get a mini-cycle while the bacteria catch up.

Thank you for the reply but sadly I awoke to my fish dead. I have been trying to treat them for the virus they had since pretty much the start. Now I'm going to do a full fishless cycle.As sad as this is my patience in a slow cycle won't be a problem. :(

Sorry to hear about your fish loss but this does now give you an ideal opera unity to set up the new tank and do a fishless cycle.
Transfer anything you can from the old tank to the new, bacteria is on all surfaces from gravel to plants and rocks but the majority of the working bacteria is in the filter. Transferring either the filter or just the media into a new filter will kick start your cycle.
Dose the tank to 4ppm ammonia and check the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily. You should find that the ammonia falls quite quickly followed by the nitrites. Don't worry unduly about the nitrates getting higher. You may need to redose the ammonia every other day or so to keep it cycling. When 4ppm ammonia is converted into zero ammonia, zero nitrites and loads of nitrates in 24 hours then you are cycled. Before adding fish do a massive water change with dechlorinated water to drop the nitrates to below 20ppm, preferably below 10ppm. If you're not adding fish then keep ammonia dosed to about 2ppm to feed the filter and keep it active until you're ready for fish, but again, let the ammonia and nitrites drop to zero and dilute the nitrates before adding the fish.
Your tank will be robustly cycled for a reasonable amount of fish, not fully stocked of course, maybe about a third stocked would be my advice. Run the tank for at least a month to ensure all is well and then slowly add more stock.
Prepping a tank this way should avoid some of the problems that you had with your tetras.
Lastly, blah blah blah, quarantine all new fish in a dedicated smaller quarantine tank for 4 to 6 weeks before adding them to the main tank. I know this is not always possible but it is the best way. It's heartbreaking when the final fish added to your tank bring in a killer decease that wipes out all your stock (speaking from experience here).
I've finished! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to hear about your fish loss but this does now give you an ideal opera unity to set up the new tank and do a fishless cycle.
Transfer anything you can from the old tank to the new, bacteria is on all surfaces from gravel to plants and rocks but the majority of the working bacteria is in the filter. Transferring either the filter or just the media into a new filter will kick start your cycle.
Dose the tank to 4ppm ammonia and check the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily. You should find that the ammonia falls quite quickly followed by the nitrites. Don't worry unduly about the nitrates getting higher. You may need to redose the ammonia every other day or so to keep it cycling. When 4ppm ammonia is converted into zero ammonia, zero nitrites and loads of nitrates in 24 hours then you are cycled. Before adding fish do a massive water change with dechlorinated water to drop the nitrates to below 20ppm, preferably below 10ppm. If you're not adding fish then keep ammonia dosed to about 2ppm to feed the filter and keep it active until you're ready for fish, but again, let the ammonia and nitrites drop to zero and dilute the nitrates before adding the fish.
Your tank will be robustly cycled for a reasonable amount of fish, not fully stocked of course, maybe about a third stocked would be my advice. Run the tank for at least a month to ensure all is well and then slowly add more stock.
Prepping a tank this way should avoid some of the problems that you had with your tetras.
Lastly, blah blah blah, quarantine all new fish in a dedicated smaller quarantine tank for 4 to 6 weeks before adding them to the main tank. I know this is not always possible but it is the best way. It's heartbreaking when the final fish added to your tank bring in a killer decease that wipes out all your stock (speaking from experience here).
I've finished! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank for the incremental steps, I do appreciate this, especially after all my devastating aftermath. (I unknowingly bought diseased fish from the big box place and made my own mistakes I assume as well. I'm going into this from better sources next time -LFS, and reading/learning as much as I'm able to.)

This current tank now ( 20G) is my inteded QT so I want very much exceptional success. I'll follow your advice here and for the home they will live in after(40g) -but obviously not until I'm all done cycling and letting them quarantine about a month. Honestly, this ma at take a long time. I'm learning how things onl go smoothly when time and parameters are cautiously handled.

Even fish from LFS may carry things like gill flukes (parasitic worm) and bacteria. It's natural. Wild caught fish will always carry a little risk, which is why we quarantine and medicate as needed. Captive bred fish have their own set of problems (usually fungal/bacterial) so there isn't any such thing as a risk-free purchase. I'm sorry this has been such a painful experience. :(

Keeping fish is like having any other pet. With cats, you might have hairball remedy on hand, dewormer, something to treat ticks, fleas and urinary tract infections. All these are common with cats. For dogs, you might have a salve made with tea tree oil for hot spots, once again flea and tick remedies, and more often than cats some sort of dewormer.

With fish, it's antiparasitic, antifungal and antibacterial. :)

Back
Top Bottom