Cycling Diary for 5.5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so this is where I'm going to post all my questions and problems for this whole process. I'm getting a 5.5 gallon tank for fry and I need to cycle it as fast as possible. I'm planning on using filter media, some gravel, and maybe a plastic plant from my other tank. Any other ideas on how to cycle it quick?

marge02144 said:
Okay so this is where I'm going to post all my questions and problems for this whole process. I'm getting a 5.5 gallon tank for fry and I need to cycle it as fast as possible. I'm planning on using filter media, some gravel, and maybe a plastic plant from my other tank. Any other ideas on how to cycle it quick?

They sell bottle of chemicals at most pet stores. I'll leave it to someone else to say if they work or not as I've never used them

I've read a lot on those and I don't really want to try them.

Cycled media (which your using) is the best route. The gravel will help as well. The only other thing I can think of is few bunches of fast growing/floating plants which fry would enjoy hiding in as well. :)

I'm not even all that sure on how to do a fishless cycle either.

okay so i decided to do fish in. i got it today and added two plants, gravel, and filter media from my other tank. does it take a shorter time for a smaller tank to cycle?

You added cycled media so it should cycle pretty quickly. Just test your water daily and do water changes if your toxins spike to/above .25ppm. :)

Back
Top Bottom