Cycling Disaster. Baffled about Next Steps...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliegirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Friends,
Fishkeeping 1st timer here. I've done a ton of reading but I'm not sure what to do, and advice varies so wildly, I thought I would reach out to the community. I'll try to keep it short.

At Christmas, we got a 5 gallon tank. We followed the fish store's advice, and filled the tank with a filter (the Marina Slim S10 clip-on filter), heater, tap water and conditioner. 48 hours later the test strip showed all good things. The fish store said go ahead and add fish, so we did.

We added two goldfish and two tiny tropical fish. I followed the guidelines, did 30% water changes weekly, tested twice a week and kept a close eye on things.
We got through the bacterial bloom ok, and 4 weeks in things were stable. Then (stupidly, I suppose) we decided to add two more of the tiny tropical fish. We went through a second bloom of sorts, but it cleared up well and things looked pretty good.

In the 7th week, suddenly the nitrite level exploded. We tried to follow advice and started 25% water changes twice a day, but to no avail. After a week all the fish were clearly dying. In a panic, we did a 60% water change, but the next day the nitrite level was sky high again.

Within 24 hours of that we lost all the fish. The symptoms clearly showed it was because of nitrite poisoning. Guilt and shame followed.

That was a week ago. The tank is still up and running, but empty now. Nitrite level is still high, but everything else on the test strip looks OK actually.

Some people say dump it and start again, some say the tank is still cycling and can be saved, and that we should finish the cycle without fish.

I'm confused about the process and terribly gun-shy about adding more fish. I guess we made some bad mistakes, but what I really want to know is, should we dump and start again, or can that water environment be saved?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your advice.

charlie

I would go ahead and do the fish-less cycle as threnjen suggested. The next thing I would do (before you purchase any more fish) is to research proper stocking guidelines. I am pretty sure the reason you had such a bad time with it was that you were very much over stocked (too many fish) especially with two goldfish as they have huge bio loads.
IMO, a single beta, some shrimp (not with beta), a frog, &/or a snail are really the only things that can properly be put into a 5 gallon and still flourish. You might want to look into upgrading to at least a 10 gallon if you are wanting to do more fish. A good basic tool for stocking is aqadvisor.com (link below) it's free and easy to use and is extremly helpful for beginners. Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions you might have. I think most of us have had some bad luck at the beginning, but you are headed in the right direction!

Thank you so much for the advice - I had a small inkling overtocking was an issue.
I had read most of the fishless cycling article but now that my tank is in fact, um, fishless, I'm going for it.

Much appreciated!

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom