Cycling light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I've started cycling my salt water reef tank and I'm doing it about 4 days now and just wondering if the t5 lights are enough light or should I have my halogens also on at this stage.
Or are the halogens only needed for the corals.
Thanks any help would be brilliant.

You really don't need to light the tank while cycling.
And you definitely shouldn't ever use Halogens on an aquarium, except for maybe an Algae Turf Scrubber. I'm pretty sure you mean Halides.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah sorry halides. Lol.

And I'm using redsea mature reef pro. And that kit is telling me to have the lights on for 10 hours a day. But not sure it means the halides and t5 or just one or the other?

Thanks again.

Yep, keep the lights off during the cycle, will just promote algae growth which is a bad way tho start things . lol

Maybe they are talking about AFTER the cycle to keep the lights on 10 hours a day. ?

carey said:
Yep, keep the lights off during the cycle, will just promote algae growth which is a bad way tho start things . lol

Maybe they are talking about AFTER the cycle to keep the lights on 10 hours a day. ?

No it's definitly says knock it on for 10 hours a day with cycling? And encourages the growth or coralline algae? Very confused now?

Coralline algae is purple and alot of people like it. BUT you will not be growing any coralline during your cycle. the algae that will grow is green hair algae and other green and brown stuff.

I have several tanks and I promise you, keep the lights off during the cycle. if you don't have anything in there that needs light why waste the bulb life and electricity? Others will chime in as the day goes on and 99% of them will tell you the same thing, no lights on during the cycle. :-D

Ok I'll check the kit again later to make sure. And I'll post up a picture of what it says and see what you guys think then.
Thanks.

Hey here's what it says in my instructions.
What do you think. Thanks

Attachments

• image-1136292424.jpg
    image-1136292424.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 74
Hey Steo,
I've never heard of the reef mature program, but I guarantee you the collective advice you get on this site, won't steer you wrong.
I do see in the instructions, that it says to add cured live rock. This will significantly shorten your cycle time, as there will be no die-off from the rocks. With this situation the tank would probably cycle in 2 weeks, and maybe they are suggesting to light it to aid in the development of coralline algae. Lighting during the cycle is not necessary though, and if your rock isn't cured, lighting will lend to excessive algae growth, that you don't want.
Best of luck with the start of your aquarium!

Yeah. I'm gonna keep going with the instructions and see what happens at the end if it doesn't work it doesn't work but maybe it will be a good test for everyone here.

I'll fill you all in on what happens and thanks for he advice it helped.

You asked a question and got answers from several people. I will add my experience. No lights during cycle. Leave the lights off and you don't have to use chemicals to stop the algae. Cycling a tank only takes rock, sand, water and an ammonia source. Did you get a kit with the system to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

spoonman said:
You asked a question and got answers from several people. I will add my experience. No lights during cycle. Leave the lights off and you don't have to use chemicals to stop the algae. Cycling a tank only takes rock, sand, water and an ammonia source. Did you get a kit with the system to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Yeah got a test kit that records ammonia nitrate nitrite ph and alkalinity.
But thanks alot for the advice. I have cycled tanks before and never used light. But they weren't salt. So I wasn't sure.

They want you to use all of their products. ;) You will have lots of algae with the lights and and then will have to use their algae remover.

That is fine.. good marketing, and a solid plan, and products you can buy. I have nothing against that.

In all reality though, if you leave the lights off your tank will still cycle (without algae - so no need for algae remover).

Also, the bacteria and stuff they tell you to add isn't necessary and probably won't help (unless your mind is set to follow the book and use their products). All you need is an ammonia source.

No lights you won't regret it !!!

If you use light all that unwanted algae will grow and it's no walk in the park getting rid of it!!

your tank will cycle the same with or with out lights , there are no added benefit just causes added head aches in the near future

I agree no lights I did mine with light and I ended up with a forest! I had to do a thre day black out to get it under control then slowly turn my lights back on. Save yourself the heart ache lights out.

Back
Top Bottom