Cycling My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RangersFanDave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a 36 gallon tank a few weeks back and I was told by PetsMart that I needed to by some Safe Start bacteria supplement and that I could add fish in 24 hours. So I took their advice and stocked my tank with fish. I now realize that a lot of people are recommending a fishless cycle, but since I already have fish, I'm just trying to keep them healthy while the tank cycles.

My tank has been set up now for almost 4 weeks and I do have some ammonia in the tank. This started a couple of weeks ago. At first I was managing the ammonia by doing water changes, but I finally bought some of the API Ammo Lock which detoxifies the ammonia. API recommends using their product every other day and doing a water change once per week until the tank cycles. So for the last 6 days, that's what I have done. Tomorrow I will do a water change.

Since the Ammo Lock only detoxifies the ammonia but doesn't remove it, I am still getting a reading of ammonia in my tank and of course that all makes sense. But my question is why I have not seen any nitrites or nitrates? I have added the bacteria supplement from API several times and I've even gone through what appeared to be a bacterial bloom for a few days.

Is it normal for ammonia to exist for such a long time without being converted to nitrite and then on to nitrate? Is there anything that I should be doing that I'm not doing currently?

I purchased a 36 gallon tank a few weeks back and I was told by PetsMart that I needed to by some Safe Start bacteria supplement and that I could add fish in 24 hours. So I took their advice and stocked my tank with fish. I now realize that a lot of people are recommending a fishless cycle, but since I already have fish, I'm just trying to keep them healthy while the tank cycles.

My tank has been set up now for almost 4 weeks and I do have some ammonia in the tank. This started a couple of weeks ago. At first I was managing the ammonia by doing water changes, but I finally bought some of the API Ammo Lock which detoxifies the ammonia. API recommends using their product every other day and doing a water change once per week until the tank cycles. So for the last 6 days, that's what I have done. Tomorrow I will do a water change.

Since the Ammo Lock only detoxifies the ammonia but doesn't remove it, I am still getting a reading of ammonia in my tank and of course that all makes sense. But my question is why I have not seen any nitrites or nitrates? I have added the bacteria supplement from API several times and I've even gone through what appeared to be a bacterial bloom for a few days.

Is it normal for ammonia to exist for such a long time without being converted to nitrite and then on to nitrate? Is there anything that I should be doing that I'm not doing currently?

I'm actually unfamiliar with Ammo Lock (I've used Prime to detoxify ammonia when I've needed to).

The reason you're not getting nitrite or nitrate readings is likely that your tank simply hasn't cycled yet. Cycling times vary from tank to tank, depending on circumstances, and sometimes can vary widely. From what I understand, 4 weeks wouldn't be unheard of to still have ammonia, but it would be on the longer end of the spectrum.

Personally, unless you have issues with ammonia coming from your tap water (like I do), I'd try to rely more on water changes and less on ammonia detoxifying products.

I also have no experience with the API bacteria product. I have used Tetra Safe Start effectively (fair warning, others haven't had the success I've had, so it's hit and miss). With Safe Start, per the manufacturer, one isn't supposed to use any product that binds or detoxifies ammonia as it will interfere with the supplement. I have no idea if this interaction is true with the API product, however.

I hope this has helped.

From what I have found and experienced there is no magic bottle to make your tank cycle most of the stuff out there will make you cycle stall instead of helping it.
My recommendation would be to get a bottle of prime water conditioner it does the work of multiple chemicals all in one treatment. As long as you are showing ammonia at any level daily 25% water changes should be done to keep the levels low add the prime with every water change. Once you start showing nitrites you will still have to do daily water changes and use the prime agree your tank cycles to where you are reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and between 20-40 ppm nitrate them you can start doing daily testing for the next few weeks and only changing water once a week.
The least amount of extra chemicals added to your tank ours best for your fish and for your wallet. Prime in my opinion is the best water conditioner out there.

So what I'm understanding from multiple posts is that the bacteria in a bottle sold by the LFS isn't really all that great. The article posted suggested that they sometimes use a weaker bacteria. So where do I get the really good bacteria that I want? Will the prime water conditioner that was recommended contribute some bacteria?

No the prime is only a conditioner to treat the water for toxins and it gives the fish a slime coat. The bacteria that you need in the tank will grow from the fish waste in the tank. The fish will do what is needed for your cycle to work. It takes time for the nitrogen cycle to complete can be up to 8 weeks for it to completely cycle.
If you know someone with an established fish tank you could get some used filter media from them but make sure it stays wet with tank water until you get it home also some gravel from an established tank will help kick start yours a little but it will still take time.

So what I'm understanding from multiple posts is that the bacteria in a bottle sold by the LFS isn't really all that great. The article posted suggested that they sometimes use a weaker bacteria. So where do I get the really good bacteria that I want? Will the prime water conditioner that was recommended contribute some bacteria?

This is just my opinion -- others differ, and others haven't had the success I've had -- but the one bacteria product that, based on both my reading and personal experience, seems to work is Tetra Safe Start. Again, one isn't supposed to use any ammonia locking or detoxifying product less than 48 hours before using Safe Start, or for at least a full week afterward. Used as directed, I have used the product to successfully fish-in cycle a tank in just under two weeks with no transferred media.

Again, others haven't fared so well with it -- so I do understand those that say it doesn't work, because it doesn't seem to for everyone.

The only sure-fire way to get the bacteria you really want is to borrow some media from an already cycled tank. This isn't without risk, though, as it's possible to transfer certain fish illnesses this way.

Prime does not contain bacteria. It is a water conditioner that removes chlorine/chloramine from tap water and temporarily detoxifies ammonia and nitrites.

The bacteria you do want do occur naturally -- and given the right conditions (and patience!) will eventually populate and seed your tank even if you don't do anything special (use a bacteria additive or transferred media) to jump-start the process. That said, adding an outside source of bacteria can speed the process -- but again, it will almost always eventually happen on its own.

Good luck!

I am in the exact same situation. I am 4 weeks in with a 55 gallon and still having ammonia reading. I also am using the API Ammo Lock and am due for water change tomorrow. My issue is I have tested my tap water and my tap water has anywhere from 1PPM to 2PPM ammonia reading. So I don't know if I'm better off doing the PWC or not. I'll keep checking post and update you if I get any good advice from anywhere else. Good Luck

Natty84jb said:
I am in the exact same situation. I am 4 weeks in with a 55 gallon and still having ammonia reading. I also am using the API Ammo Lock and am due for water change tomorrow. My issue is I have tested my tap water and my tap water has anywhere from 1PPM to 2PPM ammonia reading. So I don't know if I'm better off doing the PWC or not. I'll keep checking post and update you if I get any good advice from anywhere else. Good Luck

If you use prime with all your water changes it detoxifies the ammonia and there is no need for more than one type of chemical being added. Also yes you still need to do your water changes just use prime instead of the ammo loc. Prime can be added daily with daily water changes with no I'll effects to your fish. Ammo loc can only be used every 48 hours and you still have to use another type of water conditioner with it. Prime takes care of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals all in one bottle. And can be used daily.

Back
Top Bottom