Cycling My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwesomeDartfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just started in the saltwater tank area, I have a coralife 29 gallon biocube and a protein skimmer that I have not set up yet. It has been cycling for 8 days, I sadly was tricked by someone at my lfs saying that I needed a fish the next day to help the cycle along. He died yesterday and I feel bad that I got tricked but I feel like I also should have know better:(. I have been testing my tank and I have not seen any spikes at all. My ph is 8.2 my ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and the gravity is 1.024. Its the 7th day I have got no readings, I have got a brown algae bloom for about 3 days now. Its starting to go away on the live rock but its moving to the sand, also I think I am starting to get a bit of cyno on my live rock. I was thinking of getting my clean up crew this friday following a youtuber ReefThuz. What do you think about how my cycle is going and how far along it is.:thanks:

It normally takes several weeks to cycle a tank. If you let the fish in there, it would have provided a ammonia source for your cycle...which it seems that you are currently lacking. Get an uncooked shrimp from the grocery store or dose the tank to 2ppm pure ammonia so you can get the levels up and get things going.

OK I will dose my tank with some ammonia to get things going, one question for much later could I get a frogspawn coral in my tank because I was going to get 2 clowns and I want to see if they will host in it, also it looks really nice.

OK I will dose my tank with some ammonia to get things going, one question for much later could I get a frogspawn coral in my tank because I was going to get 2 clowns and I want to see if they will host in it, also it looks really nice.

Absolutely you could put frogspawn in! Hopefully the clowns would host it..in just added neon green hammer to my cube in hopes of my clowns hosting it..there hanging around it so far just not in it..Lol.

Attachments

• 1389072220321.jpg
    1389072220321.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 1389072236560.jpg
    1389072236560.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 76
Your tank looks really nice, I hope I can get mine to look that good. I didn't think I could get a coral beauty in a 29 gallon biocube, but you have one and it seems to be doing good.

Eh its up for debate a lot of people say you shouldn't have one in a 29..but Myne seems happy!

You will be lucky to get the clownfish to host it. I bought a couple different things for my clowns to host and they ended up sleeping back behind one of the powerheads in the corner of the tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom