Cycling nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I started cycling a new 5 gallon reef tank 4 weeks ago with live sand, I added dry rock a few days later. I dosed the tank with Dr Tim’s ammonia and API quick start. After adding dr tims my ammonia went up very high then came back down to zero a few days later and is steady at zero. The nitrite went up to over 5 as the ammonia was coming down, the ammonia has been as zero for almost 2 weeks with the nitrite staying at over 5 for also almost 2 weeks. Should I just keep waiting? Should I dose API quick start daily?

Your initial ammonia probably came out of the live rock, but with no more going in it wont cycle.

Wait for the nitrite to drop to zero, then redose ammonia back up to 2ppm. Wait for that to cycle out to zero ammonia and nitrite, then redose ammonia again. When 2ppm of ammonia cycles to zero ammonia + nitrite in 24 hours you are cycled.

Adding quick start wont do anything with no ammonia. You could try adding again that when you are redosing ammonia.

I started with dry rock not live. The ammonia was zero up until I added the ammonia then it immediately went up. Should I just add one fish or snail/crab to help with the cycling?

If you want to add fish now you will be doing a fish in cycle. Do 100% water change before you add fish and proceed with a fish in cycle.

If you want to finish your fishless cycle, redose ammonia once the ammonia once the ammonia and nitrite are zero. When you dose 2ppm ammonia and see zero ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later you are cycled.

Hi, just want to follow up on my previous post. It’s been over 5 week now, my ammonia goes down to zero within 24 hours so I’m dosing the tank daily with ammonia. But still haven’t noticed the nitrite numbers start to come down yet. Just still wait and have patience? Or should I be doing something as well? Thanks

Hi, just want to follow up on my previous post. It’s been over 5 week now, my ammonia goes down to zero within 24 hours so I’m dosing the tank daily with ammonia. But still haven’t noticed the nitrite numbers start to come down yet. Just still wait and have patience? Or should I be doing something as well? Thanks
Just wait. It will happen when it happens. ;) This is a picture of the nitrogen cycle on a graph. You see how it doesn't all happen quickly but it does happen. Nitrogen cycle.jpg

You might want to skip some days adding ammonia, or maybe not add so much. 1ppm of ammonia turns to 2.7ppm of nitrite, so during the stage where 2ppm ammonia is fully being cycled out, but nitrite isnt, there is the potential for nitrite get very high. Even if nitrite is being cycled out it can take a long time for those high levels to noticeably come down if you are also constantly topping up the ammonia.

You might also want to consider a water change to bring the nitrite levels to a detectable level so you can see if its rising or has started falling.

Once you know your nitrite is actually coming down, you get your ammonia dosing back up to 2ppm.

Thanks for the info I did not know that. So you would recommend I do a water change? What percent of the tank? And I was adding ammonia because want to cycle to stall

I would change enough water to bring the nitrite to a readable level. I assume its off the chart high, but if its not then dont do a water change. If its off the chart high, you really dont know how high it is. It might need a 90% water change or higher to bring the nitrite to readable levels. Start with 50% and see what the nitrite is. If its still higher than the test chart will read, change another 50%. Etc etc.

Skipping a few days ammonia dosing shouldn't effect your cycle. But if you are concerned then just cut back to say 0.5ppm dose so there is some ammonia in there preventing die off. When you are sure your nitrite is falling you can increase it 2ppm again.

Its really up to you. You dont need to do a water change, but if things are too high for test kits to read you dont really know if your nitrite is still rising or falling. If its at 40ppm and is dropping at 2 or 3ppm every day, you wouldnt see that drop in your test for 2 or 3 weeks.

What's your nitrite at?

Actually looks like it’s on its way down finally. Doesn’t seem to be off the chart. I’d that’s the case should I still dose 2ppm ammonia daily until it comes down to zero?IMG_9237.jpeg

IMG_9236.jpeg

Reduce to .5 - 1 ppm every other day until the nitrites get to 0. At that point, check your nitrates and if above 30 ppm, do a large water change to get it to near 0 before adding any livestock. :thumb

Andy how soon after a WC should you check the nitrates? Do you go by water turn over time? My water with two filters turns over about 4 to 5 times per hour.
In that case, the water should be pretty much mixed after an hour so you can test then. In an uncycled tank and using API Liquid test kit however, nitrate tests can be skewed by the nitrites which is why I said to wait until the nitrites are 0 before checking the nitrate level. There SHOULD be nitrates present when the tank is cycled so the key is how much is there. Keep in mind that you can get an acceptable nitrate reading right after the water change but if there is a lot of organic matter in the filtering system or leftover foods in the substrate or decor, that could make the nitrates go up as soon as overnight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom