Cycling of new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello...well my tank has been cycling for 3 weeks now. I tested my water today and my amonia is about 1.5 (high) and my NO2 are out of this world at 4 ppm...I know that they get high in the cycling process..I am cycling the tank with uncured live rock. Have not seen any hitchhikers or anykind of life..will the NO2 being that high hurt anything that might be living on the rock? Also my rock is covered in brown algae which sounds like its par for the course of the cycling. Stupid question....what do any of you suggest for a highly effective cleaning crew that I can add when the cycle is complete? I am under the understanding that this brown algae will turn green is this correct? Oh and I forgot to mention too the rock has tiny little bubbles on it..is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sounds like the cycle is coming along well. Some hithchhikers will survive, some will not. Just sorta the price you pay.

Sounds like the rocks are covered in diatoms, which will go away completely in a while. After the cycle is done. The bubbles could just be air bubbles.

As for a clean up crew, I'd suggest some nassarius snails as well as some turbo/astrea snails, possibly a few hermits, and a cleaner shrimp/peppermint shrimp.

So we will think of this as a good thing that the cylce is coming to an end...cant wait! Thanks for the input!

Merry Christmas to you all!

Normal cycle stuff.

I recommend, Astreas, nassarius, cerith, smaller Turbos, 3-4 hermits(Keep numbers small) if you have bubble algae look into 1 or 2 Emerald Crabs, and I always like to have a brittle star. Cleans up detrius and if a fish dies overnight, it will not rot the tank(Stay away from green brittles)Also 1 or 2 Cleaner shrimp.

Oh, and add the cleaning crew over a few week span when the cycle is complete so they have enough food.

Just a note, on my two cycling tanks. I had diatom blooms and still had nitrItes present. About a week ago, mine bloomed and yesterday I had .25 nitrItes reading.

Back
Top Bottom