Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beardo86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just finished a fish less cycle in my 60gal tank after 3 weeks. Have a Fluval 306 and Emperor 400 filter. Have to do a 90% pwc in a few days. My question is how long can the filters be off before the BB start dying? Wondering how much time I have to change the water. Thanks

As long as you keep water in them, they should be fine for a bit.
Also, don't do 90% water change. That's a lot. You should only be doing a 50%-75% max water change to not bother the chemistry of you're water, and prevent a bacterial bloom.

Thanks. I thought a 90% pwc was too much also. I was going off a fish less cycling FAQ I found on here.

At the end of fishless cycle, nitrates are typically sky high. You want to bring them down to your tap level of nitrates (whatever this number may be). This typically entails atleast one big water change (90-100%) but it may take more than one. If you want to do multiple 50%wcs, your choice but it will be more work & effort.

At the end of fishless cycle, nitrates are typically sky high. You want to bring them down to your tap level of nitrates (whatever this number may be). This typically entails atleast one big water change (90-100%) but it may take more than one. If you want to do multiple 50%wcs, your choice but it will be more work & effort.

Agreed,..... But a 100% would kill the cycle never remove all water from the tank unless moving it

Agreed,..... But a 100% would kill the cycle never remove all water from the tank unless moving it

No it wouldnt kill it. Its not really the tank your cycling, its the filter and even if it was...? Just make sure the new water is dechlorinated and as close to tank temperature as possible.

Thanks for quick responses. Definitely will be doing the 90% pwc this weekend. Try to post pics as soon as I get the tank stocked.

Back
Top Bottom