cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
would taking my filter for my new tank and running it on an old tank and putting it back on the new one later help cycling?

Yes...seeding the new filter on an established tank helps.

Yes it will. You will need to put the new filter on the old tank and let it run along with the old filter fow about 3 weeks. Then just move the new filter to the new tank and it will be ready to go.

What about when stepping up in size (mentioned in another thread).Say from a 10 to a 55...what is the variation if any?

Set it up...squeeze some of the old filters "juice" from the foam pad...a few bio-balls/logs/noodles etc. into the new one. I'd give it a week to ten days to become independently established.

alright im running 2 fliters on my new tank so the bigger filter is on the new tank and the smaller one is on the old tank with the other one then im going to put it back on.thanks for all the help

SCFatz said:
What about when stepping up in size (mentioned in another thread).Say from a 10 to a 55...what is the variation if any?

I am assuming you are referring to establishing a filter capable of filtering a 55 gal tank and establishing it on a 10 gal tank. If that is the case then the bacteria colony established in the new filter is dependent on the bioload not the water capacity. If there are 10 fish in the old tank then the filter should support about half that amount of bioload in the new tank, due to the bacteria colony of both filters.

another question i tested my ammonia and nitrate just now and ammonia rating is 0 and nitrate is 0.2 is my tank starting its cycle i also have been dosing with cycle.

Back
Top Bottom