Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am not a newbie to cycling. I am recycling my tank right now after a full empty/clean due to lack of care.

Dec 31,2015 I emptied and cleaned my whole tank, moved it to a new room and started all over. I stupidly got rid of my bb goop when I cleaned the filters. Lesson learned. So I have finished cycling ammonia and nitrites.

My problem and question is this: I had no nitrates during nitrite decrease. I tested every day. Now I still do not have any nitrates and my nitrites have been gone about 7-9 days. Could my strips have just missed them during cycle or could they have actually just cycled fast? Or am I just bound to not have any?

This is really confusing me because I have never heard of NOT having nitrates at any stage of cycling except after a full cycle.

Any knowledge and/or advice? Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you're cycle is over when the nitrite drop to 0. while you have 0 nitrates you want to keep it that way, IMHO you're done.

I will add to get a better test kit too. The strips are not very reliable. The master test kit from API is good.

I will add to get a better test kit too. The strips are not very reliable. The master test kit from API is good.
I am going to get one in a few months. I am on disability and have spent a ton of money on fish supplies last month after bills and now I have this month just enough to have gotten some new fish and will get a siphon and new bubble wall. More luck next month.

Unless you have a very heavily planted tank your niteates should never be 0. I would take a same of water into the lfs for testing just to be sure.

Unless you have a very heavily planted tank your niteates should never be 0. I would take a same of water into the lfs for testing just to be sure.

They got the same reading.

Back
Top Bottom