Cycling Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm in the middle of cycling my daughters new 20 gal. tank and I have a few questions.

I'm cycling using two Tiger Barbs and I'm on the 14th day. Ammonia went to about 1.0 ppm by the 6th day and stayed there for several days. Then I noticed a spike to almost 2.0 ppm and promptly did two 25% water changes over two days. It's been back at 1.0 ppm ever since.

Nitrites arrived on day 8 and have been at .25 ppm ever since.

Nitrates are showing 5.0 - 7.5 ppm, but the AP test solution for Nitrates is about that color out of the bottle anyway so I don't know if this is the truth.

I added a couple of capfuls of Cycle a few days ago, but it didn't have a noticeable effect.

I'm thinking that I should have seen a spike in Nitrites by now and a drop in Ammonia, but so far nothing.

My ph is around 7.8 and temp. is 78.

Should I just hang tight or should I consider taking some sort of action?

Thanks.

Go out and find yourself some bio-spira. Most fish stores have it in their refidgerated section. Make sure it stays cold from the store to your house, shake well and add it to the tank. Your Barbs will thank you :)

Cycle is inneffective imo and i think most other fish keepers share this opinion of it.

-Pleco

Pleco said:
Go out and find yourself some bio-spira. Most fish stores have it in their refidgerated section. Make sure it stays cold from the store to your house, shake well and add it to the tank. Your Barbs will thank you :)

Cycle is inneffective imo and i think most other fish keepers share this opinion of it.

-Pleco

Actually, I was going to use Bio-Spira from the begining, but I went to Petco, Petsmart and two local fish stores and nobody carried it. I hate to order it online since it's supposed to be kept cold. I know some will ship with cold packs, but the cost of shipping high.

If you can get any Prime, it will help convert ammo and nitrites to a safer form while your tank cycles. If you can get some media from a freinds established tank, that will help speed the cycle too.

Well, I went in search of Bio-Spira today with no luck.

I came home and tested again. Ammonia was still at 1.0 ppm, but the Nitrite level went from .25 to .5. Also, the Nitrates went from 7.5 to 10.

I hope this is a good sign. With any luck, the ammonia level will drop soon.

Well, its a sign at least that all of the bacteria are present and working. I'd cut back on feeding for a few days.

I used an HOB to jump start the cycle. I hung it on my established tank for a few days, then put it on the tank I was cycling. I dont know if that is super safe disease wise, but it works for me. YMMV, but I like to use used media to get the bacteria. I would rather feed an empty tank for a few weeks than harma fish.

Codefox said:
Well, its a sign at least that all of the bacteria are present and working. I'd cut back on feeding for a few days.

That's what I was thinking. I've cut down a lot over the last few days, but I don't really know what a fish's requirements are.

Can they go a couple of days with no food? Are there signs to look for if the fish are in dire need of food (aside from floating on their sides)?

Thanks.

Fish can go long periods of time w/ out food, though i wouldn't do it for over 2 days.

It's also been said many times; It is better to underfeed then to overfeed.

Back
Top Bottom