Cycling, stock, design, DIY stands, eels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lexilove

Aquarium Advice Freak
Am setting up a 10 g tank tomorrow! So excited! I have a 20 g & I'm not really understanding cycling... I didn't cycle my 20 & it's perfect, but I'm thinking snout doing it to the 10. I'm using my old filter from the 20 for it cause just today I bout a new 50 g filter for it and I was thinking that would do some good to put some of my other tanks water just to get it running.
So I need y'alls input please on how to cycle.
Also I got red sand today! And I got Kevin! I was so happy I finally got my peacock eel! I trusted the lady at petsmart, she had one too a long time ago. She said he would be okay in my 20 for 6 months around that time I'm gonna set up a 40-55 :D family not so happy about that... But they trust me especially since I have bought everything and it will be my birthday/Christmas around the time he gets too big! So possible presents? :) So far Kevin is still getting used to my tank, I love him/her already!!!
Well How should I stock the 10? I was thinking of a fry tank since my fish are constantly preggo. Or a small guppy tank? Not sure yet. Been trying to take pics of kevin but still too shy... Any advice will be appreciated! :D

Lexilove said:
Am setting up a 10 g tank tomorrow! So excited! I have a 20 g & I'm not really understanding cycling... I didn't cycle my 20 & it's perfect, but I'm thinking snout doing it to the 10. I'm using my old filter from the 20 for it cause just today I bout a new 50 g filter for it and I was thinking that would do some good to put some of my other tanks water just to get it running.
So I need y'alls input please on how to cycle.
Also I got red sand today! And I got Kevin! I was so happy I finally got my peacock eel! I trusted the lady at petsmart, she had one too a long time ago. She said he would be okay in my 20 for 6 months around that time I'm gonna set up a 40-55 :D family not so happy about that... But they trust me especially since I have bought everything and it will be my birthday/Christmas around the time he gets too big! So possible presents? :) So far Kevin is still getting used to my tank, I love him/her already!!!
Well How should I stock the 10? I was thinking of a fry tank since my fish are constantly preggo. Or a small guppy tank? Not sure yet. Been trying to take pics of kevin but still too shy... Any advice will be appreciated! :D

If I had another ten gallon I would stock it with 6 females 2 males black Moscow guppies . Good luck

Your 20 did cycle, you just weren't aware of it :) If you remove the filter from the 20 gal though you're removing all of your bacteria so if there's fish in there I wouldn't do it. You can remove a small portion of it and add it to the filter for the 10 gal to help seed it.

What fish do you have in the 20 gal now and what if anything is in the 10?
Here's a guide that might help with your cycling questions: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

In the 20 I have mollies, platies, adf, & a baby peacock eel. Nothing in the 10

Back
Top Bottom