cycling/water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
as most of u probably know, im cycling my tank and i have a little garbage in the water and on top of the water...i know that i need to do a 50% water change after my nitrites drop to 0...should i do a water change before then?

It will prolong the cycle if you do water changes at this stage.. you could always skim the surface with a cup or something if it's bothering you.

Some people say there is no need to do a water change during cycling, I did water changes during the cycle to try and save as much life as possible in the LR, I have heard this will prolong the cycle a little but thats not really a big deal. The only time I seem to notice junk on top of the water is if the flow is not enough, try and point your power heads up a little to create motion on the waters surface.

my ph are pointed towardthe surface now and i have great flow at the top of my water...i think it is just junk from my sand

I am not so sure that doing a water change will prolong the cycle. Unless you do a 100% water change, any water you leave in the tank will still contain some ammonia and nitrite. The bacteria count may be a little lower when doing water changes during the cycle than if not since there is less food for them to eat. But I don't think the cycle is extended this way at all...

With all that said, it is up to you if you want to do the change. I did water changes every few days when I cycled my tank. This was so I could keep anything that was alive on my LR when I got it *still* alive when going through the cycling process.

I agree with Biggen. If you have LR, do the water changes. The LR is not just a home for bacteria. If it is a "start from scratch" set up where no life has been introduced, water changes will not benefit anything.

Cheers
Steve

You guys he only has sand in there right now, remember? :lol:

You guys he only has sand in there right now, remember?

Um, no. :oops:

I guess he can file this away for future info then. :)

If he only has sand, I wouldn't bother with the water change then until both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero.

yes, atari is correct...i have only sand and i have 30lbs of base rock on the way which i plan to add in the next couple of days...then i will add my lr after the cycle to keep it alive :)

Back
Top Bottom