Cycling with Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The shrimp method isnt exact but it will be something to feed your bb. I keep my qt cycled with ammonia (when not in use)- the longest I have gone without dosing is 5 days but I suspect the bacteria can last quite a bit longer! I have come across on here a couple of threads where cycled tanks were left for a month (or longer) with nothing to feed the bb & the tanks all recovered their cycles fairly quickly once ammonia was added (a week or so). No scientific data to support any of this but I would not be too worried! Use a piece of pantyhose to put the shrimp in to keep them from creating mess, too. :)

jlk said:
The bb can actually live for days without food or, alternately, you can throw some raw shrimp in the tank while away. Nothing to worry about! :)

If they really live that long I'm sending her a piece of my filter. It should be there in 3-5 days of mailing it. Then I can be her favorite sister again!!!

Really!?! You give me such hope! So just toss in a raw shrimp? I can do that. Thanks for your expertise! I'll be gone for over a week so I'll do it just to be safe.

From what I have read, your best bet is to throw the raw shrimp into pantyhose & tuck it under a rock so it doesn't float to the top. The pantyhose will help keep the shrimp from falling apart and clouding your whole tank.

Back
Top Bottom