cycling with aquasoil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting from scratch with an old tank. I'm ordering plants next week, and should be planting next friday. It's a 55 gal tank (i know, i know), canister filter, current sundial 4x54watt T5 HO (plan on starting with 2x54watt), 15 lb CO2, power head (Co2 diffusion), going for med to high light plants, got heaters, test kits, etc... I'm using ADA Aquasoil in combination with power sand for my substrate. I understand that Aquasoil emits ammonia, which is perfect for sparking my fishless cycle. I have two stump ornaments (6x8") in a friends tank accumulating bacteria now (approx. 1.5 months). My question is: will that ammonia spike from the Aquasoil be a sufficient amount for the duration of my cycle? Will it be too much, and stall? I've read a lot about people doing a crazy number of water changes during the first part of the cycle. The bag says not to rinse. So what i can decipher is: do not rinse the Aquasoil, do water changes (if needed) until ammonia drops down to 4-5ppm? Then watch my levels to see where the cycle is at --- Ammonia=0, NitrItes=0, and NitrAtes=5-10 (give or take), cycle should be complete.

Please let me know if i'm on the right track, or rip me a new one if i'm way off base. I have asked a few questions in other threads regarding whats listed above, but I'm hoping to kind of cross reference everything, and come out in one piece.

very much appreciated everyone, thank you!

what i would do is set the tank up with plants for 2 weeks then start doing water changes to bring the levels down. it leeches to such a high amount and can take a month or so. i have always just let it sit for a month or two then go on with the cycle.

i really dont know if the ammonia it kicks out will be enough to fully cycle it but it will help.

Back
Top Bottom