Cycling ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drillsar2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I tested my tank ammonia is 0.5, Nitrite 5ppm or higher using API Drip test so then I tested it with strips

Using test strips my Nitrite and Nitrates look maxed should I do a partial water change or let this run? I heard that if its maxed out it could stall your cycle.

if partital how much and I beleive then I have to add more ammonia.

Last edited:
Well you should not use the test strips. They are inaccurate. The water test kits are more precise. When you have a large spike in nitrite is when you should do your water change. If you do a water change when your ammonia is just rising that will stall the cycle as you are taking out water that has not actually turned over into nitrite yet.

Well your nitrite spike triggers the nitrate to kick into gear about half way through the spike I think. So in order to kind of balance things out you do a partial water change. You will then see ammonia fall off and nitrite will be present but not like it was. Then you see the nitrate slowly take hold and then you do partial water changes from then on out to keep your nitrate at safe levels for inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom