Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am Going to cycle my tank on Friday but I was reading the link I was directed to on how and it says to turn up the heater, I don't have a heater. I live in Florida and its definitely warm here. Is this something I should purchase? And is it necessary to cycle? Or can I wait before I buy it of its necessary?

If you are going to have anything other than a planted tank than you most likely need a heater anyways. What are you plans for the tank? Hypothetically you could potentially start cycling the tank without a heater if the room temperature is sufficient. Also keep in mind that cycling a tank isn't a one day thing, it can take time for the BB to build up.

Also I am assuming you are planning on a fishless cycle correct?

What is the tank size? Is the filter new or used? Do you have any seeding material to introduce existing beneficial bacteria?

I have a new 20 gallon and there are no fish. I bought the test kit as it said and the pure ammonia. My filter is new but it has been running for about a week now. I have plants in there but they are just plastic and a few little hiding places. I am going to be adding a dwarf gourami and some barbs either cherry or golden maybe both and a few loach.

All of the fish you listed are tropical and live in 70-80ish degree water so you will for sure need a heater. Once you get a heater crank it up to about 85 or so as that will result in the bacteria colonizing the fastest, just keep dosing your ammonia back up to 4ppm. My cycles typically took about three weeks but I have read that others have taken up to two months.

If you have any friends with (healthy) cycled tanks see if they would be willing to give you some used filter media or decorations or anything from their tank that may contain beneficial bacteria to speed up the process. Try to avoid the bacteria in a bottle products as most that have used it have reported either no result or even further delayed results.

Other than that you can just stick to the thread on fishless cycling and just remember the hardest part is waiting for it to finish. Good luck.

A heater isn't necessary to cycle the tank (the warmer water can speed things up a bit) however you'll probably need one when you get fish. Even though it may be warm where you live I'm sure temperatures can fluctuate particularly at night so a heater will keep things stable in the tank. If you can't get one right away while you're fishless cycling though don't worry about it, you can start cycling without one for now.

Thanks guys! I really might as well get the heater now cuz I will want it anyway and if it will make my cycling process faster itd be great!! Now is there any specific heater I should be looking for? Should I get a certain watt or brand. It's a 20 gallon do I know one big enough for that but wattage?

I am Going to cycle my tank on Friday but I was reading the link I was directed to on how and it says to turn up the heater, I don't have a heater. I live in Florida and its definitely warm here. Is this something I should purchase? And is it necessary to cycle? Or can I wait before I buy it of its necessary?

Hello cait...

You need to have all the aquarium equipment, including a heater. The cost is minimal and it may come in handy during the cooler months and help keep the water temp constant. Just set it for 76 degrees and leave it, but I would get it.

B

Yeah I have decided to get one but trying to figure out which one. Do you have any suggestions?

Yeah I have decided to get one but trying to figure out which one. Do you have any suggestions?

Hello again cait...

Most of the fully submersible heaters will be fine. Marineland, Theo and Aqueon are good brands. If you have a smaller tank, up to 30 gallons, then figure on 5 watts per gallon of tank volume. Tanks larger than that need only 3 watts per gallon of tank volume.

B

Thanks! I just went to the pet store and I got a 200 watt Aqueon. That's the only brand they had. I also got a thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom