Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am researching how to set up a salt water tank...? I have no idea how. First thing, does it need to "cycle" the same way as freshwater? And specific chemicals needed for Sw?
Specific filter for SW?

bkiggy said:
I am researching how to set up a salt water tank...? I have no idea how. First thing, does it need to "cycle" the same way as freshwater? And specific chemicals needed for Sw?
Specific filter for SW?

Yes. Every tank, even SW, will need to cycle. Fish less cycle is preferred. There are some great articles on this forum about cycling. You can use liquid ammonia or toss in a couple of raw shrimp and let them rot. The ammonia method smells a lot better. Lol.
I avoid chemicals in my tank as much as possible. You'll need to use distilled or RO water for SW, otherwise you'll end up with a huge algae and/or cyano outbreak.
For filters, there's hob, canister or sump. I have never used a sump. I have a 55g with a Fluval canister and it works great. I have a 30 g with a hob, which works good, but a PIA to clean IMO. just get a filter that's rated for twice the size of your tank for SW.

Cycling is easy for SW

So is filtration

Just use at least 1lb of live rock per 1 gallon of water, at least 1/2 lb of live sand per gallon of water and really good circulation and that's pretty much it.

Unless youre doing a larger tank

Put the raw shrimp in a mesh bag. Easier to pull out and remove or add more but OMG...the smell is atrocious when you take the bag out! LOL!

Fish less will do. I have a Fluval on my freshwater. Haven't decided yet for saltwater. Maybe a 20 gallon Nano. I have two Aquaclear filters laying around. A 50 and a 70. Use same media for freshwater? Sponge, bioballs, ammonia remover and carbon?
Don't U need a chiller and stuff? Water has to be cold?

Chillers are really expensive. I would set up the tank, and if your temp with all the equipment on gets above 81, try some small clip-on fans blowing across the top of water to cool it. If that doesn't work, some people will freeze bottle if water and float them frozen bottle in tank to cool it. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need a chiller. Not everyone needs one.

Btw, most SW fish like temp 72-78, not cold. There are a few SW fish that like 60-70, but they can't be mixed in with the warmer water fish or won't do well.

Good to know. Thought it had to be really cold. So room temperature is ok. About 70+/-
Thinking nano tank. Not sure yet. Saltwater is a lot of work having to upkeep. We shall see. Still trying after 8 weeks to get my FW to cycle.
I would want coral and ananomae's (sp?)
Maybe seahorses. ? Maybe a puffer ?
IDK yet , gotta consider what they eat. I have freshwater puffers and a 40 gallon tropical

bkiggy said:
Good to know. Thought it had to be really cold. So room temperature is ok. About 70+/-
Thinking nano tank. Not sure yet. Saltwater is a lot of work having to upkeep. We shall see. Still trying after 8 weeks to get my FW to cycle.
I would want coral and ananomae's (sp?)
Maybe seahorses. ? Maybe a puffer ?
IDK yet , gotta consider what they eat. I have freshwater puffers and a 40 gallon tropical

Seahorses are VERY difficult to keep alive, even for experienced keepers. They eat very specific food and tend to starve to death. They also can ONLY go with other seahorses or with pipefish. I would really discourage you from doing seahorses as your first SW tank. A stable temp is really important, best at around 76-78. If you want corals or anemones, you'll need to upgrade from stock lights, and that gets really expensive, but if you're willing spend the money on lights, go for it!!

bkiggy said:
Saltwater is a lot of work having to upkeep. We shall see. Still trying after 8 weeks to get my FW to cycle.

I disagree 100%.

A reef tank you might be right, but not a basic saltwater FOWLR (fish only with live rock) which is what I have and what youre talking about having.

Like you I somewhat struggled with cycling and whatnot with my freshwater. Eventually leading to the crash of that tank.

This saltwater experience so far for me has been pure joy. Granted I only use water (ro/di and salt) from the lfs so that eliminates alot of variables.

It is just a bit more expensive but worth every penny

lakaiguy said:
I disagree 100%.

A reef tank you might be right, but not a basic saltwater FOWLR (fish only with live rock) which is what I have and what youre talking about having.

Like you I somewhat struggled with cycling and whatnot with my freshwater. Eventually leading to the crash of that tank.

This saltwater experience so far for me has been pure joy. Granted I only use water (ro/di and salt) from the lfs so that eliminates alot of variables.

It is just a bit more expensive but worth every penny

+1 The only freshwater fish I can keep alive is a beta! LOL! I've had brackish green spotted puffers that did well but that's as close as it gets! Saltwater...easy once you figure out what the cycle means, what causes what (nitrates, phosphates etc) so you don't have algae issues, and do some research on fish needs and compatibility ( same as with fresh water). Basically, it's pretty easy once you get use to it. I will say that even people who have been doing this for years still find that they continue to learns as each fish you get has different requirements. Patience and research...those are going to be the two things that will make you or break you!

Back
Top Bottom