Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perryuk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I've been researching cycling my new 55 g an it seems split some say cycle with a few fish some say do a fishless cycle. Obviously I'm keen to get some fish in there want to add some yellow labs do you think these would be ok was thinking of putting 3 in, they are about 4 cm thanks

Ok I've been researching cycling my new 55 g an it seems split some say cycle with a few fish some say do a fishless cycle. Obviously I'm keen to get some fish in there want to add some yellow labs do you think these would be ok was thinking of putting 3 in, they are about 4 cm thanks

Fish IN cycling is much more demanding because you want to keep the fish alive & healthy. I did not use Cichlids but when I did my fish IN cycling tanks, a 10g & a 46g, I test my water daily & did 50%+ water changes on each tank about every 3 days. If you go fish LESS the demand is much less & there's no worry about losing fish if something doesn't go right. Should you choose to go fish IN I wouldn't use Cichlids but someone more experienced with them will hopefully offer advice on that.

Oops sorry prob the longer fishless the easier an better it would be then thanks shelly

shellieca said:
Fish IN cycling is much more demanding because you want to keep the fish alive & healthy. I did not use Cichlids but when I did my fish IN cycling tanks, a 10g & a 46g, I test my water daily & did 50%+ water changes on each tank about every 3 days. If you go fish LESS the demand is much less & there's no worry about losing fish if something doesn't go right. Should you choose to go fish IN I wouldn't use Cichlids but someone more experienced with them will hopefully offer advice on that.

I fish in cycled with Afticans, they will be fine as long as you keep Params in check.

I've done it with Africans, it was definitely a pain in my butt doing huge water changes every day but in hindsight I would still have done it fish-in. I'm not a huge fan of an empty tank. With a dependable test kit and dedication all will be well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom