Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmongan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of setting up a 180 gallon freshwater tank and doing some research on fish less cycling and had a question/thought. I don't think I will be filling up the tank for a week or two but had an idea on trying to jump start the filter. I was thinking of taking a 5 gallon bucket and putting a few scoops of gravel along with filter media in it and then filling it up with water and adding some ammonia to try and get the cycling process started. I could even put my heater and an air stone in the bucket and when I finally get the tank set up and filled with water I could sprinkle the gravel around the tank and add the media to my filter. I was wondering any thoughts on if this might work to jump start building up the bacteria colonies and would using a higher concentration of ammonia be a good idea under this plan.

I would see if you could get some very heavily used filter media from a reputable lfs bury it in bucket of substrate with enough water to just cover the substrate/ a couple centimeters above the substrate and let it be for however long until you decide to use it. You could also run a small internal filter with a piece of seeded media inside a sponge in a 5g bucket with your new filter media.

I would NOT trust a 180 gallon new tank with LFS media. I would totally go fish less. It sounds like this would be your baby and I like your plan. Your bucket idea is good (adding ammonia to a bucket and let it sit). The problem is, if your bucket holds 5 gallons of water, then you are only building bacteria for 5 gallons. So yes, it is a good idea but you need more buckets for your idea to work.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh and remember to add bubbles and a heater on a very high temp for the bucket to really work for jump starting your cycle. Otherwise, you will just have a source of Ammonia build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom