Cyno in Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've notice that there is a redish brown gooey looking substance growing in my refugium, I do believe it is cyno yet it has not spread to my main tank, has anyone else ever had this problem also how should I go about treating the refugium?

You may want to take a look at your water. Cyano thrives off of DOC and phosphates and dead cyano. You have too much nutrients in your water, overfeeding, too much light or some other issue. I would try a siphon and some PWCs, maybe 10-20 every week.

Well the problem with increasing the flow is that it is in a HOB Refugium, how should 1 gop about increasing flow there, and yes the current moves through extremly slow.

I get cyano in my fuge compartment also. I manually remove what I can when I do PWC's. As long as it's in the fuge and not in the display tank I'm happy. That has not been an issue, it's remained only in the fuge. As mentioned cyanos harder to control in a fuge due to low water flow that is generally desired. It may be an eye sore but regardless it's using and removing nutrients just like macro's.

Back
Top Bottom