Dalmatian Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NaKay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dalmatian Molly sitting on bottom, attacking others

I've had my tank for months now and done weekly water changes without any problems... but lately I've been noticing my Dalmatian Molly attacking my two guppies and two platys. I have a 10 gallon tank and all the other fish are fine.

My platys giving birth twice since I've had the tank so I'd say my conditions are pretty good and everyone seems healthy.

I had put a divider in for a few days to separate the Molly... she's been back with the others and doesn't seem to be attacking anyone anymore but she sits in the bottom of the tank sometimes but will get up when I come to the tank or find food. She also likes sitting on the heater.

Is this normal? What could be wrong with her

Last edited:
A 10g is a tiny tank for a Molly IME. Mollies are very active swimmers and in small spaces I consider them Semi Aggressive. I've always recommended 30g or larger for Mollies considering some hit 4-5" as adults.

I'd rehome the Molly or consider getting a larger tank.

For now ? Add some fake or real plants for more sight breaks and hiding places.

She may be hungry ? Try varying her diet. They enjoy greens. You may need to do twice weekly water changes as well. Keep an eye on water parameters. Mollies are big Eaters and big poopers.

Don't have the option to move her right now. I do notice she's extra aggressive during feeding. Maybe I'll try to switch up the diet and feed them a a bit more than usual and see if that helps!

If you can find them, my mollies love dandelion greens. Just blanch them then use a suction clip to put them in the tank. They also like Zucchini. I have my longest and faster mollies in my 40 gallon tank. But I have a full grown balloon molly and an almost full grown butterfly molly in a 20 gallon, what you need to make sure of is that you're doing frequent water changes and that everyone is getting food. If you can, use the divider to feed everyone else. Then feed the molly. Mollies are pigs and they will eat. And eat. And then they'll beg for more.

They may also like a marimo ball, not to eat but to peck at and search for things in. Mine love new decorations and plants just to explore.

Boiled greenleafy lettuce I find is best. no mess just hang in the water with the lid holding the stem. I use boiled zucchini in my outside ponds for my plattys,endlers and especialy for my 1000 plus Ramshorn snails . this way nothing to pick up you can just lift out the uneaten lettuce .you do not want to leave it in the water for more than 2 days. I don't have a problem with removing it . the lettuce will be a skeleton in 1 hr.in a small tank just put a strip of lettuce hanging. I constantly have to take out aggressive male mollies.

Back
Top Bottom