Damaged Betta Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my fav betta got stuck on my filter an had most of his tail ripped and damaged I replaced filter but when I next checked on him his tail had been completely eaten away. He was sharing tank with some shrimp a yoyo loach and some African dwalf frogs. Who ate him? Secondly will he live I don't have any spare tanks at mo or any with friendly fish in so he is in a large vase he seems ok but I am concerned about the poor guy he was my first fish! Thirdly will his tail ever grow back.

Attachments

• image-292118181.jpg
    image-292118181.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 94
It has been quite awhile since I have dabbled in freshwater...but I always loved betas. My favorite, and longest lived was one that I won at a carnival because my sister wanted a goldfish. It lived for 2 years. 6 months into me owning him, my mom was changing his water while I was at school. He fell into the garbage disposal. She fished him out and he had a giant gash down his entire side. He lived for a year and a half afterwards. It is quite possible he will live, just be careful with him and watch his tankmates, they might take the opportunity to get more living space.

Welcome to AA!

It is quite possible he is suffering from fin rot. What you need to do is keep his water really clean and heated. The vase isn't a very good place for him. IMO he would be better off in his normal tank. You can add a little salt to the tank but only a half dose because of the loach. Antibiotics might be needed because the tail is very damaged and if fin rot makes its way to the base of the tail it can be deadly. It is very possible the tail will grow back if there is not too much damage.

What size is his tank?
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

I had a betta, called Jupiter, that was really suffering from fin rot. I clipped a 1/2 gallon cube inside my big tank with only a soft fake plant and a betta hammock. Nothing on the bottom. Because it was front and centre in my tank, I could get rid of any mess (food, poop, etc) right away. I used a turkey baster that I bought just for that. Being in the big tank kept his water temp constant.

It took about a month of that before he was healthy enough to move into his 5 gallon. That has a tetra whisper mini filter on a very gentle setting. I still do water changes at least once a week. It's been close to 4 months now and his fins are definitely healing and growing back. That said, they weren't as bad as yours....

You can see some pictures in one of my threads... I think it is called Jupiter's new home. I never took a photo when he was at his worst. It just didn't occur to me. But at least you can see some of the healing.

Patience, diligence, and a bit of luck are what you need now.

I can't tell u in gallons but in l it is aprox 25L nitrates are low cause I change water regually 1/4 tank every 3 days. And it's heavily planted. I am sure it's been eaten cause the damage disappeared in a few hours

Plus if it is fin rot then it's too late the damage is all the way to the base of tail.

Do you have a test kit that you can get exact readings from? Even trace amounts of ammonia will impair the healing process.

If you can tell us what your ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes are, as well as pH and temp, it will really help people give advice.

There are also some good on-line calculators out there where you can plug in the measurements of your tank (length, height, width) and they will tell you the volume. Maybe you could have a look or maybe someone who has it book marked could post a link for you.

I honestly don't have any kits at mo I lent one of my tanks to my mate and I gave him all my stuff, all my other tanks have chiclids in so going to put him in there hence why he is in a vase

My tank is almost as big as my 30L bi orb

20L is about 5 US gallons. I'm guessing your in the UK or Australia? Antibiotics are not commonly available there. There are other medications that can work. I don't think he's past saving. Is he still eating?

Just in a side note. Yoyo loaches are too large for a 25L tank. They also need a few other yoyo loach friends.

Mumma.of.two said:
20L is about 5 US gallons. I'm guessing your in the UK or Australia? Antibiotics are not commonly available there. There are other medications that can work. I don't think he's past saving. Is he still eating?

Just in a side note. Yoyo loaches are too large for a 25L tank. They also need a few other yoyo loach friends.

I agree. That's a 6.6 US gallon tank. Yoyo loaches need at least 20 IMO. A lot of times a medication isn't even necessary-many diseases or illnesses can be cured by improving water quality, adding salt, or increasing the temperature of the water.

The yoyo doesn't live in there he was injured from my chichlid tank there is 4 in there and he was smallest and was hurt so I put him in with betta to heal, yep in uk. No antibiotics yet. Not sure if he is eating cause I have moved him from tank so not sure if he ate before or is upset from the move...... Don't forget in uk we don't gave nitrates in our water we have florides so nitrates just from bio mass.

Ok, my thoughts (and Mumma can correct me if I am wrong because she knows things):

Can you put him I some sort of plastic container in your smaller tank, just to keep his temp regulated? You ave a heater on the small tank, right?

Give him something like a silk plant to hang out on. If he's really ill, he may want to rest on something near the surface to breathe. Jupiter spent almost a month on a betta hammock.

Change his water at least daily, if not twice a day. Maybe 50% each time. Careful to keep the temp consistent and remember to use the dechlorinator, obviously. Maybe a wee bit of salt, but do some research on amounts and types. It can't have any additives.

Clean any any leftover food as soon as he is done eating. Clean away any waste as soon as you notice it and try to check often.

Testing would be ideal, but I suspect it wouldn't really change the regimen. You'd still be changing water constantly.

His water is clear the case is a 4L vase with two plants in it, it's in bathroom so it has a tropical temp. I have never used salts so I would probably stuff it up and use wrong salt and kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant put anything that blocks top of tank as I have two adf in there and they can't get to surface. My gf put he first in a breeding net and put that in top of tank with plant but one of frogs got stuck so now he is in a vase.... Poor little bugger.

I clean it regually anyway I like a nice clean tank so it look pretty.

StuH said:
The yoyo doesn't live in there he was injured from my chichlid tank there is 4 in there and he was smallest and was hurt so I put him in with betta to heal, yep in uk. No antibiotics yet. Not sure if he is eating cause I have moved him from tank so not sure if he ate before or is upset from the move...... Don't forget in uk we don't gave nitrates in our water we have florides so nitrates just from bio mass.

That's great :) We get lots of newbies so have to cover all grounds.
There is a good product called Myxazin by Waterlife. It's an antibacterial. I would give that a go along with some salt. Usually I would recommended just clean water but since it's so far gone I think we should just go straight for the meds. Make sure you keep him warm. Bettas do best at 27C.

My power bills are massive cause I keep whole rooms warm like my bathroom, that's where I have put him. My yoyo's are safe in my chiclids tank cause the barbs on there bodies keep them safe from getting attacked, however the smallest had his tail chewed on and went pale so I moved him into little tank now he is recovering well.

Back to who ate my bettas tail....... I think it was my African dwalf frogs I know they are long sighted, but could they smell the damaged betta resting and attack it they are strong enough to rip bits of him!

It might not have been bitten. Sometimes fin rot can come on very suddenly and bettas can drop large amounts of fin in one day. Whether he was attacked or it rotted, treatments the same.

Back
Top Bottom