Damaged/foggy acrylic... need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone.

Today I tried removing one of those stick on thermometers from the outside of my aquarium. It left a big sticky mess, so I decided to use some oops remover to get it off. Well, turns out it clouds acrylic!! Once I realized I was destroying my tank, I stopped using it, so now not only do I have a damaged piece of acrylic, but it's still a huge sticky mess.

So first of all, what can I use to remove the remaining sticky mess?

And second of all, what can I use to buff out the cloudiness? I've been looking at the novus three part scratch/cloudiness remover.

So advice to you all out there, DON'T use oops to clean acrylic. :banghead: Learn from my stupidity.

I'll post a pic in my next post. Thanks!

Edit: Also forgot to mention, I tried using a razor blade to scrape off the sticky mess, only to further damage the tank! (Great plan, right?) The top part is the most sticky, and the area towards the bottom isn't sticky at all, and is just hazy from being touched with the oops remover.

Tank in question is a five gallon marineland hex tank.

Attachments

• 1403469061876.jpg
    1403469061876.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 93
So far I've scrubbed with hot, soapy water several times and scrubbed with alcohol. I think it's gotten slightly better but it's difficult to tell. I'm not sure anymore whether it's the sticky residue that's left or just damaged acrylic.

I ordered the three part novus product to hopefully buff out the cloudiness/scratches but I want to make sure I get all the sticky residue off before I use that.

you might try a little acetone or finger nail polish remover to remove sticky stuff.

I was thinking that... but found several places online that said acetone will cloud/wreck the acrylic.

Try first in an obscure place like back or bottom of tank that would normallybe covered by substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I was able to remove the sticky stuff and I received my novus in the mail. Seems to have worked well but I'll need to use it a lot more to fully buff it out... pic of my progress.

for future reference;
take the peel of an orange and squeeze the oils in the peel on a cloth or wipe directly on the adhesive and it should clean up easily.

Orange oil cleans LOTS of stuff. ;)

If you have a torch or lighter you can VERY carefully brush the flame across the acrylic until clear. Google it and you'll find instructions. Your just slightly melting the very surface maybe .0003" of it and it naturally dries clear.

Thanks for the info! I tried with a match, but was hard to control. I can't seem to find a lighter so I will try again once I can find one around the house.

I would go like propane torch. I've never used a lighter it might leave soot residue....

Hmm. Well we certainly don't have any of those around the house. I would also think it would be a safety hazard, the tank is in my bedroom and is full of water and running at the moment.

I would go like propane torch. I've never used a lighter it might leave soot residue....

six of one, half dozen of the other.
A lighter or similar may create soot, but a torch may be more tricky in controlling the heat.

I strongly recommend practicing on scrap if possible before taking flame to your tank. If the acrylic catches fire, your tank is screwed.

Well, in that case, I think I will pass with fire altogether. LOL

I have zero handy skills and I already felt unsafe last night when attempting with a match. I don't have a torch nor scrap to practice on either.

I'll keep trying to buffer with the novus products that I ordered online and hopefully I can get this scar as less visible as possible, and turn the tank around so it's in the back.

I had a small acrylic tank I gave my daughter it was hazy
used that headlight restorer on it looks like new

I had a small acrylic tank I gave my daughter it was hazy
used that headlight restorer on it looks like new

img_2979966_0_df021b73fa62ea5897f8536dffd9541b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom