DANG! thats 1 mean fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a channel catfish that never had live food before and...

soo.... i was about to give my biggest oscar his every other month single gold fish. but this time the channel catfish rushed out... the oscar (little bigger than the catfish) flew into the tanks corner (kinda like "woh, buddy calm down) then the cat ripped that poor goldy in half and then eat the rest!

my question is:

Are channel catfish very aggresive or was mine just super hungry?

P.S the channel had never seen live food exept worms.

Yep, he was hungry, told ya he needed live fish, LOL.

Its ok, if you do send him to us he will eat fish 3x the size of the goldfish everyday.

Here is the rule of thumb with gamefish, the biggest fish will strike first, however catfish are not scavengers they are true hunters, they are a predator fish. The channel cat smelled that goldfish before the oscar even knew it was in the tank.

If you can get a few roaches in a day or two and feed him those, he will be one happy cat. I dont fish for catfish unless I got atleast a dozen 4" bluegills, diameter not length.

PM me on the cat, it can be shipped directly to the store via any post/parcel.

I'll get pics tomorrow morning before the lights are on and again after feeding( real crowded with customers at feeding time in the tunnel).

You do know how to handle the cat right?

How many fish per day will work for him?

What do you mean handle him??

i would like him to get around 15in before i send him away so he wont end up as food.

Picking them up. you gotta be careful, cats have one mean stinger to em, and it oesnt go away for days.

Beware of the side fins and its dorsal.

his size around 10 to 12 a day.

Oh I did take almost 100 pics this morning when I got into work, His size is fine, wait till you see what these monsters live with.

a 8" gar is 100% safe with these guys.

10-12 golds?!?!?!?
i gota get to the store!

can you post the pics of the fish plz

i fish for channel cats all the time--during the day I just use a doughball for them since they are less active and more prone to scavenging. However at night all it takes is a few minnows and these guys go nuts for them. Very much a predator fish, and they love food. Ive hooked a few of them twice in one night before. But WhiteDevil is right you have to watch those spines because they are extremely painful if you get stabbed and it will hurt for at least a week

i fish for channel cats all the time--during the day I just use a doughball for them since they are less active and more prone to scavenging. However at night all it takes is a few minnows and these guys go nuts for them. Very much a predator fish, and they love food. Ive hooked a few of them twice in one night before. But WhiteDevil is right you have to watch those spines because they are extremely painful if you get stabbed and it will hurt for at least a week

thanks for the info i will be sure to avoid the spines.

Back
Top Bottom