Danio and platy compatibe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty positive any Platy is compatable with zebra danios

Mumma.of.two said:
Cool :) you must be getting a fair collection of tanks now.

Yes I do!!! Me and my friends help me buy the 55G so we are kinda sharing it but I have to clean the tank!

Cornstar said:
Make sure the platy and danio are both in school of at least 6.

Platy are schooling fish?? I only have a couple danios but I need to go to lfs soon anyways!!!

Platys are not schoolers. They do not need to be in schools of 6. Danios are schoolers and definitely do better in a school IMO.
The more important thing to watch with platys is the gender ratio. 1m/2-3f. If you don't want fry, I suggest getting all of either gender. Sometimes all males will bicker and bully, but sometimes not. Depends on the fish. In a community, it is unlikely you will get surviving fry though unless you take them out right away or take out any gravid females to drop their fry somewhere else. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Platys are not schoolers. They do not need to be in schools of 6. Danios are schoolers and definitely do better in a school IMO.
The more important thing to watch with platys is the gender ratio. 1m/2-3f. If you don't want fry, I suggest getting all of either gender. Sometimes all males will bicker and bully, but sometimes not. Depends on the fish. In a community, it is unlikely you will get surviving fry though unless you take them out right away or take out any gravid females to drop their fry somewhere else. :)

I have play fry right now and she was about to have her 2nd batch when the platy eat her!!! Literally! She died very sadly. Right now i have 2 males /1 female. Males won't bully female? Might put danios in with them too .

I have play fry right now and she was about to have her 2nd batch when the platy eat her!!! Literally! She died very sadly. Right now i have 2 males /1 female. Males won't bully female? Might put danios in with them too .
Males will typically harass the females too much trying to breed with them, thats why I suggested those gender ratios. Sometimes, a male platy will leave females alone, so if your current trio is ok, then thats fine.

I have 10 danios and 4 platies along with other community fish in a 100 gallon. The danios stay at the top for the most part and the platies all over the place. They're doing great together.

Back
Top Bottom