Danio got really fat in 3 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zitrael

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good day,

My zebra danio got really fat over the last few days. Here is what happened lately.

Saturday, I introduced some 6 shrimps in the tank, 2 of the Danios attacked them before they could hide in the plants. As far as I can see, only 3 are left in the tank. This is about when the said Danio started to get bigger than the other so I just thought he was the killer!

Sunday, my daughter, trying to help me, knocked the food container on top of the tank as I was feeding them (so the lid was open). Some food fell in and before I could turn off the filter, it got spread all over the tank. I scooped some food out, and then vacuumed. Then did a 33% water change. I waited an hour then vacuumed again. About 3 hours later I made another water change.

Monday, the Danio was bigger... I assume the fatty just ate a crap ton. (note that the ammonia never went above 0.5 ppm and that I did not feed the fish between Sunday morning after the incident until this morning (tuesday) since I assume they ate enough for a bit and I read on this forum to let it wait for a couple days when this happens.

Now I came back from work and that fat fish is even fatter. I'm trying to take a picture but it's really hard so I'll describe as much as I can.

The front bottom is much bigger and scales are slightly sticking out
There's a small red spot on each side of its gills.
The anal area is pretty red
I put him in a smaller bowl until my other tank warms up a bit (half water from the water change I just did and half reverse osmosis water)

Tank is 28g bow, c3 filter, right now water has pH of 7.0, ammonia is at 0.25ppm, nitrite at 0 ppm, nitrate at 20ppm, temp is 25 Celsius.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393370874206.jpg
    1393370874206.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 86
As you can see in the picture, they are sticking up a bit :-\ on the top and a bit below his mouth

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dropsy. Almost incurable and danios are susceptible. Look it up online. Must be treated IMMEDIATELY for even the remotest chance of survival. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom