Danio Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok i have my 29 gallon tank up and running with live plants, 6 diamond tetras, 5 panda cory cats, 1 random cat fish that i call kitty fish, and what was 7 danios. So yeah i am keeping my tank up and running Ph is okay (6.9), amonia is 0 and every thing is right. And yet over the course of 2 weeks my daino population has gone from 7 healthy dainos down to 4 still healthy danios. I have checked the tank every day, feed my fish made sure the tank temprature is fine and i have seen absolutly no dead danio bodys. None. Zip. Zero. Dose anyone have any idea what could have happened to them?

No the top is fully closed Then again i better check twice. If they did jump out my evil cat probably ate them. And it is a cat fish not a pleco. But i dont think it is fast enough to catch them. Plus he likes to stay at the bottem. The danios stay all the way at the top.

cats are evil, they often eat at night, i use to have a catfish and ate 50 of my little fishes in 1 night. but there might be a chance that the water quality's bad so maybe you want to test it.

Do not underestimate the cat...hes an ambush predator and in a small tank can eat darn near anything they want that fits in its mouth...

No i have no pics of the cat and i probably wont get one because he hides in his bell (bell-a bell shaped decoration which kitty fish has crowned as his own) all day and only comes out durring the night. And my camra cant take pics in the dark. Also kitty fish is small. A danio couldent fit in his mouth, even if he tried. So even if he was as fast as one (which i douht he is) he couldent eat them.

i wouldnt think the cat would eat a danio even if it was big enough to get it in its mouth, the danios are really fast little fish... unless the danio was dead, then even another danio could eat it.

Well speed wouldn't matter, esp if he has a place to hid i.e. a bell, as he could sit back and wait for them to come past it and strike. He must be small if a danio won't fit in his mouth. I'm kinda interested to see what kind of cat it is lol

Alright i have just looked it up and kitty fish is a sun catfish. Roughly 2 inches. I know that it will grow to more than that. To about 5 inches if my sorces are right. And yes it ate all of my dainos. My only fear : my 5 doller panda corys are next. But i am looking into getting a smaller tank just for him and maybe i will get him some of the same species for companions. And if not i will give him back to the store. *facepalms self* I sweare if i ever let my dad go to the pet store again alone to get a new fish for my tank i will jump off a cliff. I mean i lost like 10 dollars in daions. How crazy is that.

Ah that sucks. Sorry to hear the danios became cat food.

Now at least you know what kind of catfish you have and you know how big it will get, so you can rehome him. From some things I just found about the sun catfish, it can get pretty big. Catfish will eat anything that fits in their mouth, but all fish are like that too.

Yeah very true. So thats what im thinking (to get a new tank) and hopefully it will work. Ive never had a giant cat fish before so besides the 10 dollar fish loss i think it will be pretty cool.

Sun Catfish are very cool...they are mellow and act just like you said hiding out alot...they will get much larger than 5"...closer to a foot, possibly 18" if lives a full life...He will eat anything in the tank at that size...

Exacly why i am getting a new personal tank for him. Thanks for all the help guys!

LOL, I would never send my dad to the pet store! HAHA! He would probably try tricking me and just getting a sunfish or perch from the river. :D

LOL, I would never send my dad to the pet store! HAHA! He would probably try tricking me and just getting a sunfish or perch from the river. :D

If I told my dad to get a red zebra he'd go out to our pond and get a goldfish, he's done it before lol (except I didn't tell him to get a fish :lol:)

haha, my wife thinks red zebras look like goldfish. if i sent her to get a red zebra, she'd try and save money by buying a $.15 feeder goldfish lol

Back
Top Bottom