Danio with nipped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

someginger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our 15 gal high tank has been cycled for a couple of weeks. We have 4 long-finned golden zebra danios (2 male, 2 female). We plan to add more, maybe another danio and some tetras.

We left for a four-night trip (a pet sitter fed the fish), and when we returned, we found that the others had severely nipped the fins of the biggest, slowest female. Half her tail was gone, and one of her side fins was tattered. Her scales are also spiked out - one of the pictures shows that condition. :(

We put her in a net enclosure and added stress coat. She was swimming energetically, just not able to make much progress. Not interested in food. The next morning, I think her tail was in worse shape - mostly gone instead of half gone. She also stayed near the surface, maybe gulping for air.

Is she sick or infected? What should we do? Should we give her antibiotics?

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401376807.453385.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401376828.322242.jpg

Your Fish

Hello some...

Hard to say what the problem might be. I would suggest a large water change of half the water and add some floating plants like Hornwort. This will boost the energy of the fish and a lot of floating plants provide hiding places and comfort for the bullied fish, if that's what's happening.

Small tanks are difficult to maintain. The water chemistry can change to unacceptable levels in hours, stressing the fish and making them vulnerable to infections, because there's not much water to dilute chemistry problems. While the fish is recovering, I would make plans for a larger tank, if possible. A 30 gallon will give the fish more room and make tank management easier.

B

What's are your water parameters? If your care taker over fed and trashed the water quality it's probably fin rot. How often do you change the water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any suggestions for what to do if it is fin rot? She's still swimming up at the surface with her sad stump of a tail. Doesn't seem worse than this morning, at least.

You really shouldn't have any am reading in a cycled tank.. I'd suggest doing a larger water change every 4 days for the next few weeks.. maybe 40-50%. The clean water paired with good quality food will help her heal right up. If the water quality does not improve however..neither will the tail..

Thanks for water quality advice - will do so. She's lying on the bottom of her net enclosure and her dorsal fin seems a bit blackened. Should we separate her to keep the other fish safe? Some kind of aquarium salt bath?

It's not contagious so much..have you changed water yet?

Not yet, about to retest water then change. Should I add aquarium salt to the new water along with prime?

You can.. Could Help. Shouldn't hurt..

Back
Top Bottom