DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now i know some of you think i shouldnt do the blue tang but i really want one and ill have plenty of time before i need/will upgrade but, is there anything else you think would go good with this list?? any other additions?? i dont want an overstocked tank obviously, but im not sure on what my limit is and/or if im already there

Wouldn't do a Tomini Tang (saw somebody liked them) with a Kole (same family). I have read that a 4 line wrasse looks similar to a 6 line without the possible aggression issues. For CUC I have 4 Conchs, 6 Trochus Snails, 4 Bumble Bee Snails, 3 Peppermint Shrimp (they really ate the Aptasia I had), 2 Emerald Crabs, and 1 Blood Shrimp (wife had to have it). This crew keeps my 90g pretty clean. Along with the Kole and Yellow Tangs.

Wouldn't do a Tomini Tang (saw somebody liked them) with a Kole (same family). I have read that a 4 line wrasse looks similar to a 6 line without the possible aggression issues. For CUC I have 4 Conchs, 6 Trochus Snails, 4 Bumble Bee Snails, 3 Peppermint Shrimp (they really ate the Aptasia I had), 2 Emerald Crabs, and 1 Blood Shrimp (wife had to have it). This crew keeps my 90g pretty clean. Along with the Kole and Yellow Tangs.

A 4 line wrasse is also ALOT more expensive in my neck of the woods lol so I think I'll b good with a six line haha

A 4 line wrasse is also ALOT more expensive in my neck of the woods lol so I think I'll b good with a six line haha

Never priced one. Just a suggestion. I like the Clown Wrasse and that was only $40 (which I think is a steal for anything salt water).

I love my 6 line - he's not aggressive at all but is small maybe 1.5-2 inches. He's happily swimming in the tank i've only had him for a week.

How are you coming with a light fixture?

Still saving up.. might be a little bit with Christmas coming up n all.. just gotta keep saving up.. just incase u don't know I plan on getting 2 Dimmable 165w LED lights to hang over top of the tank

For those of you that have a fuge... do u leave the light on all the time? Or turn it off at night?

I think most people keep it on when your tank lights are off? Helps with temp changes from lights. But I've also heard of people running them with the normal light timing. Usually people throw a fish or invert down there so lights won't be on 24/7 but probably pretty long to grow some good stuffs

I think most people keep it on when your tank lights are off? Helps with temp changes from lights. But I've also heard of people running them with the normal light timing. Usually people throw a fish or invert down there so lights won't be on 24/7 but probably pretty long to grow some good stuffs

Gotcha.. well I'm still cycling so I guess it doesn't matter.. does cheato need light to survive??

I'm pretty sure it needs some light. But it seems to grow under rocks and stuff so it might survive under like fluorescent lighting?

It's often turned on at night in what's referred to as a reverse daylight photoperiod. It helps balance pH. At night just about every living thing in the display tank takes in oxygen and produces co2. CO2 in water forms carbonic acid and any acid in water lowers the pH of the water. By running the refugium lights opposite the display tank you let the plants and algae in the sump take the co2 from the display tank and convert it back into oxygen. This makes the pH more stable and keeps oxygen high when it would otherwise drop. Keeping the lights in the sump off during the day helps control heat and is good for the copepods. They're nocturnal.

It's often turned on at night in what's referred to as a reverse daylight photoperiod. It helps balance pH. At night just about every living thing in the display tank takes in oxygen and produces co2. CO2 in water forms carbonic acid and any acid in water lowers the pH of the water. By running the refugium lights opposite the display tank you let the plants and algae in the sump take the co2 from the display tank and convert it back into oxygen. This makes the pH more stable and keeps oxygen high when it would otherwise drop. Keeping the lights in the sump off during the day helps control heat and is good for the copepods. They're nocturnal.

Ahh gotcha.. so sump light off during the day and on at night :) cool

Cheato works well with a simple cfl bulb in a cheap lamp.

Oh no I already have a light fixture for it.. bought on from Lowes for $7. I was just curious about using the lights.. never had a sump before so its all new to me

just letting you guys know this is my favorite thread! i am going to start a 90g reef in feb and i have gotten more useful information during this build then most any other thread i have read on here! ill keep reading as your tank transforms..:popcorn:

just letting you guys know this is my favorite thread! i am going to start a 90g reef in feb and i have gotten more useful information during this build then most any other thread i have read on here! ill keep reading as your tank transforms..:popcorn:

Aww why thank you!! The tank is definitely coming along nicely :)

Back
Top Bottom