DanS Future 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I just got off the phone with "Oatey" which is the PVC Cement company. Turns out the kind I used isn't "aquatic safe" even tho it says Rain-R-Shine on the bottle. Customer service said its good enough for drinking water but not for aquatic life... FML

What did you use just regular purple primer and PVC cement? If so its fine . I used that on all my tanks and its been over a year with no issues.

Now THAT'S a nightmare. Man, I don't even know what to say. I'd be devastated. So awful. My heart goes out to you.

Never heard of that type . It might not be ok then. Does it say it has any anti mildew stuff or anything like that on it ?

Never heard of that type . It might not be ok then. Does it say it has any anti mildew stuff or anything like that on it ?

I cant find anything on there like that, I found a Thread from way back in 2003 on here and someone said "rain-r-shine is fine to use"

See whats wierd to me is that the fish are all dying. i put 4 hermits in there a few days back and as far as i can see, theyre all still alive. ?????

Are these all chromis ? From the same tank at the Lfs? I assume you acclimated them all the same way. Could have been collected with the use of harsh chems. That is all I can really think of. Also did you happen to ask when the lfs got them in?

Are these all chromis ? From the same tank at the Lfs? I assume you acclimated them all the same way. Could have been collected with the use of harsh chems. That is all I can really think of. Also did you happen to ask when the lfs got them in?

i had 6 Chromis from the same tank at the LFS but theyre all dead.

Now i have a Yellowtail Damsel in the sump to see if he can survive and as of right now, it looks like he'll be dead by tonight, maybe tomorrow morning.

The chromis werent drip acclimated but the damsel was(for a lil over an hour) and no i didnt ask when the LFS got them in, they get orders in weekly.

Ok well I don't see any reason for them to die besides bad stock or bad collection . Your parameters are fine so it isn't that .Imo there are a few good questions that should always be asked before fish purchase.how long have they had it(never buy fish that havent been there for less than a week, it can take that long for the chems they use to wear off) .what is it eating and how often ? I know it isn't an answer of why but hopefully it will help in the future.

Ok well I don't see any reason for them to die besides bad stock or bad collection . Your parameters are fine so it isn't that .Imo there are a few good questions that should always be asked before fish purchase.how long have they had it(never buy fish that havent been there for less than a week, it can take that long for the chems they use to wear off) .what is it eating and how often ? I know it isn't an answer of why but hopefully it will help in the future.

well i hope youre right bc if this tank needs to get redone, its gonna be a VERY long time until its back up and running. :/

Oh no!! I'm so sorry the damsel is dying too. I don't know what you can do about the PVC cement.

It seems weird that the hermits are doing fine. Here's what happened to me with freshwater-

I got a tank off of Craigslist. Cleaned everything put stuff in it, filled it, made sure it was cycled. Time to add fish! Feeder goldfish- added 5, they all died. Next I added some other fish- rummy nose tetras- 7. 5 died. Neon tetras - 5. I think all of them died. Anyway, my husband called it the tank of death. I think the LFS was going to stop selling me fish. Added more fish, tetras or platys... I don't remember. Finally the fish stopped dying. I have no idea what the problem was. I lowered my pH. That's the only thing I could think of.

Saltwater- live rock and all that jazz, tank cycled. Added hermits, snails, emerald crab. All fine! Clown goby- died. Clown goby 2- died. Clown goby 3- died. I blame poor stock. All my levels are fine. Corals are fine. I've been fishless since October or so. I needed to make sure my system was free of Ich. The last clown goby lasted a week but then developed Ich. Ugh.

Either your water is poisoned from the PVC cement or your LFS has very poor quality stock. That's all I can think of. I hope this problem gets solved quickly!

Well I'm getting ready to walk into my LFS and ask some questions. All of the fish that are in my 29G are from the same place so I dunno if its stock.. maybe I just had bad luck with what I picked out. Who knows.

Well they said they had a problem with the damsels a few weeks back but nothing since and nothing with the chromis. But honestly, r they really gonna tell me if there was a problem, no.

So anyways, they told me to put a poly filter pad in my sump and see if it pulls anything out. (Ex: pad changes blue, means I have copper in my tank)

Guess we'll see how it goes. Plus my Damsel isn't dead YET so who knows, maybe he's just getting used to the tank, I dunno

Well they said they had a problem with the damsels a few weeks back but nothing since and nothing with the chromis. But honestly, r they really gonna tell me if there was a problem, no.

So anyways, they told me to put a poly filter pad in my sump and see if it pulls anything out. (Ex: pad changes blue, means I have copper in my tank)

Guess we'll see how it goes. Plus my Damsel isn't dead YET so who knows, maybe he's just getting used to the tank, I dunno

Let us know how that pad works.

I'd have thought the hermits would be sensitive to copper...

Wait, you said something wasn't safe about the PVC cement? What wasn't safe about it? Is this still on the system?

No, the company said it wasn't recommended for aquatic life but I've read on a bunch of diff forums of people having used the same exact kind and had no problems.

Tank is still up n running, I haven't done anything to it

Back
Top Bottom