Day / Night Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

claidheamdanns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Should I adjust the day / night cycle based on time of year? It is now winter and the day cycle is coming on when it is still dark outside and staying on after the sun has gone down.

I adjust mine just to daylight savings. I don't change the amount of hours, just the times the lights come on/go off, that way I can enjoy the tank at night time.

That's good advice, and I'll go ahead and do that, but I was wondering mainly for the health of the fish, for the simulation of the natural environment.

Any thoughts on that, anyone?

I'll speculate here and assume that in captivity, animals in salt water tanks are more prone to healthier lives the more consistent their environment is. That being said, as long as there
aren't any drastic lighting changes, i.e. during winter/summer simulation, they will be happier... Just a thought.

Also keep in mind that the summer/winter cycle gets more drastic the further from the equator you are. Most of our fish corals come from reefs nearer to the equator than we are and experience the lengthening and shortening of the daylight a lot less. So in other words, I have no idea :)

That makes sense. So the longer winter cycle is actually normal for them, than our short daylight cycle.

Also keep in mind that the summer/winter cycle gets more drastic the further from the equator you are. Most of our fish corals come from reefs nearer to the equator than we are and experience the lengthening and shortening of the daylight a lot less. So in other words, I have no idea :)

+1 Was reading and was going to say the same thing :p

Back
Top Bottom