Daytime length. Plant supplementation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have a daytime length of 10 hours. I want to know a good length of day for the tank. I'm dosing flourish 1 time a week, excell 2 times a week, root tabs 1 time a month, I have playsand substrate and a coralife dual t5HO 1 bulb is 5k other is 6.5k. I have all natural red clay that I was thinking about putting into the sand for iron supplementation is this a good idea? Also I have this really bright green algae growing, what is that, never seen it this vibrant of a green? Any tips on day length? All help appreciated thanks!
Edit: just added co2 tonight to the tank.

Anyone out there have opinions on this?

Stock list is 12 neon tetra, 5 gold barbs, 5cory cats, 4 harlequin rasboras,1 betta, 2 nerita snails, 6 ghost shrimp.
Hope this helps.

Algae

I was told to put a timer or turn off light for at least an hour a day will disrupt the algae growth pattern. I am not an expert, or authority on the subject, though I started turning it off in the middle of the light cycle and I have had less algae. :brows:

Nope, aquarium plants will take the light when they can get it and for growth it shouldn't matter. It could have some effect on fruiting or flowering, but this isn't really a concern for aquatic plants for most people.

I will try to get the reference for the information.

Autumnsky said:
Nope, aquarium plants will take the light when they can get it and for growth it shouldn't matter. It could have some effect on fruiting or flowering, but this isn't really a concern for aquatic plants for most people.

I will try to get the reference for the information.

Ok thanks!

Found the reference for the "Siesta" period

In the Aquamaster book Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock, he references no more than 12 hours a day of light and a midday Siesta period "A 5-6 hour period of lighting, followed by 2-3 hours of no artificial light and then another 5-6 hours of lighting proves effective at reducing algae growth without any adverse effects on fish or plants in the aquarium." pg 28 2004

Other article said at least an hour, but was looking for this info and found it, listed it so others can reference it.

Found the reference for the "Siesta" period

In the Aquamaster book Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock, he references no more than 12 hours a day of light and a midday Siesta period "A 5-6 hour period of lighting, followed by 2-3 hours of no artificial light and then another 5-6 hours of lighting proves effective at reducing algae growth without any adverse effects on fish or plants in the aquarium." pg 28 2004

Other article said at least an hour, but was looking for this info and found it, listed it so others can reference it.

Autumnsky said:

Awesome thanks! This is good cuz that way I can have it on more around times I'm home.

Back
Top Bottom