Dead Candy Cane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this Candy cane about 2 weeks ago.
I noticed four days ago that it was opening up a lot, and two days later it started to shrink and it looked like it was rotting away and now it looks likes this. Before all of the cane had tentacles that came out at night, but now i've only seen tentacles come out of one for the past three days.
Any input.

All water paremeter are good.
Calcium at 400 alk at 11

Attachments

• Candy Cane.JPG
    Candy Cane.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Candy.JPG
    Candy.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 132
If that`s what they look like now then they look OK. Do you have a pic in the white light?

here are some pic in white light. Are they alright even if the tentacles are no longer coming out at night. I haven't seen them in about four days.

Attachments

• DSC02164.JPG
    DSC02164.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC02165.JPG
    DSC02165.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC02166.JPG
    DSC02166.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 128
They definitely aren't dead, but might be a little deflated. What's your nitrate level?
Do you know what kind of lighting they were under where you bought it and what lighting do you have?

you can get the tentacles to come out usually if you squirt a little mysis or meaty over over the top of them and wait a bit. May take a little provoking. The coral is probably getting used to your tank right now so i would wait a good week or so and then try. They don't need to be fed but a little every once and a while is a good thing as long as you don't over feed your tank.

They definitely aren't dead, but might be a little deflated. What's your nitrate level?
Do you know what kind of lighting they were under where you bought it and what lighting do you have?

Nitrates are below 5. They had them at the lfs under t5 lighting, which is what i have, but i have six bulbs and they only had 4. They had it lower then where i put it at the beginning so i lowered the a little to towards the bottom. I not sure if they might be getting too much light or too little light.

I think they look just fine. Maybe a little deflated like ccCapt said, but nothing that looks like they're not doing good. Let's just say that if I saw one like yours in a shop, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

It looks fine. Pretty normal, actually. I wouldn't worry too much about the tentacles extending. If it was dying you would notice it peeling away from the main calcium structure.

also it depends on their mood IMO mone are sometimes open sometimes closed sometimes only one head is open sometimes only one head is closed

Back
Top Bottom