Dead coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elmo1287 said:
IF a coral passes away should it be removed from the tank

If a coral is completely dead, it'll be an all white skeleton, and stores sell those for tanks for BB to grow on. So, no, you don't have to remove it.

Well their is still meat on it do you think it can be revived I didn't have the right light for about a week for it to survive on but now I do and it's the only thing in the tank

I would leave it in, move it to a better spot and see if it recovers. If not, you'll just have a coral skeleton, which some people pay for.

Beengirl said:
I would leave it in, move it to a better spot and see if it recovers. If not, you'll just have a coral skeleton, which some people pay for.

Dont dying coral release phosphate??

What kind of coral? Soft corals don't have a hard skeleton so I would remove them before it disintegrated in the tank.

ccCapt said:
What kind of coral? Soft corals don't have a hard skeleton so I would remove them before it disintegrated in the tank.

Yeah, we'll there is that. Lol. I guess I was assuming that it was hard coral cuz he said "there's still some meat on it.". Sounded like there's a skeleton with meat left. But ya know what happens when you assume, right?

Agreed... if it's a soft coral, and definitely on it's way out, get rid of it. If it's an LPS, or especially an SPS, leave it in. I can't count how many threads I've seen to the effect of "I thought this thing was dead 3 months ago, but now seeing new polyps.....". All it takes is a small organism or two hidden in there somewhere to survive, and it may work it's way back.

Back
Top Bottom